Sign in to follow this  
Flyback

40mm basic IWC Ingenieur - worth the money?

I am asking this as someone who loves this Genta-style look of the watch, the bracelet. It fits me well. I mean the 40mm black or white dial model with date, without any other complications.

It has an ETA, it costs 5-6k EUR. Is it worth the money guys? Those who purchased it especially. I cant justify buying a Tudor black bay with Eta as it seems a bit pricey for what it is, but here is a way 2-3 times the price and I am so drawn to it. I just cant shake of a feeling that they are overcharging for the design too much. I.e. for 3-4k I would may be get it, sort of Portfofino style or entry level flieger but here? ... Am I crazy or this is an acceptable price point in your, IWC fans, point of view?

And from another angle, is it a watch you buy used as it depreciates strongly (used for 3.5-4.5k)?

For reference, I got my Submariner no date with inhouse movement from Rolex for comparable price and think it is fine. Very happy with it. Is IWC Ingenieur its equal really in all aspects?

A watch is more than a movement. I'm a big fan of the 3239. Great look, great case, great bracelet, with a top grade 2892 (or Sellita equivalent).

Gray market pricing is also starting to come down, if you feel it's hard to justify the AD price. I think jomashop has them at $3,600-3,700, depending on dial color.

Yes, jomashop is one of, if not the biggest gray market dealer in the U.S. They are legit, and if I was going to buy the 3239 I would buy from them without hesitation. Though I'd probably take their price to an AD first and ask how close the AD can really get to it. I would certainly pay $4,000, maybe a little more, to purchase the watch in hand from an AD. But at some point the price gap is too large to ignore.

My sentiments exactly. Jomashop has a few from the mid-4k range (USD) to mid-5k. I was surprised to see a Laureus edition there for a decent price, as that one sells for about 7k. I saw one the other day, and the blue dial is very nicely done. Chrono24 may have some deals too.

I bought brand new from a grey market dealer off of chrono. Cheapest I've ever seen brand new so I went for it.

No regrets. Watches I was Contemplating.. SD4000, JLC deep sea alarm, and this ingy. I know they aren't all in the same price bracket.. money wasn't really the issue.

Didn't go with the Rolex because I new I would end up selling it like I've done with every other Rolex, vintage and modern. I love their watches.. But I unfortunately can't get passed the stereotypes associated with the brand.

Didn't go with the JLC because ironically I didn't want to deal with them when I needed a service. In-house means there's truly only one place you should send your watch.. And you not only wait for some unknown amount of time but you end up paying for it too.

Ended going with the ingy because (again) ironically it has a ETA. After flipping 50+ watches I've come to the realization that I actually prefer ETA (depending on the watch of course) due to serviceability. In this situation I knew I wanted the design and I can't afford the $15k version.. I have already owned an IWC before and knew the fit and finish is top notch. I've also always wanted an ingy but they all have been too thick.. Until now. At 40mm and 10mm thick.. How could I resist. Sounded perfect for my 7 inch wrist.

I think it's a fair deal for under $5k everyday. I've never seen them for less than $4k new... Ever. Used I have but that's if you even come across one for sale. I waited a few months and they rarely come up for sale. Depreciation is interesting for this one.. I definitely would not buy it for retail.. that goes with most IWC. I'd say it's sellable pre owned all day for $3,700 to $4k just because they rarely come up for sale on the forums. Higher than that you are nearing grey market brand new territory but I have seen them sell for what I paid brand new.. Just depends on who's really interested. Black dial is more expensive than white on both watch forums and grey market.

IWC may not be in house but damn do they finish their watches nicely.. Polish, brushed, polished, brushed, polished, brushed... It's all over the watch and that tedious job could only be done by hand and a lot of hard work. The bracelet itself is a work of art. I plan on getting the rubber too. Tudor will not have this level of finish... Not even Rolex can compare to IWC in that department..

If you like being under the radar.. Get the ingy. The majority doesn't really know IWC but when someone notices my watch they go "I really like your watch" and since the people have said that I know personally and know they don't know anything about watches it's a lot more genuine than if I was wearing a Rolex.

I look down at it awe all the time. I'm very happy with the decision. It was worth the money.. To me.

http://i.imgur.com/qOYwYRp.jpg

Just a couple of weeks ago, jomashop had 2 versions of the 3239 for $3,595 and $3,695. Black dial and white dial w/o the gold accents. If I hadn't just bought a GO I probably would have bought one.

I guess I mention it now as I suspect with patience you will find them at that price again on the GM.