Sign in to follow this  
Jeffpas

Expanding my scope to IWC, Mark XII or XV?

My first serious flirt with IWC was the Ingenieur 3239. I ultimately went against it and got a Reverso instead for about the same price.

My lineup is ever expanding/shrinking, but I will say the mainstay is the 14060M Submariner and the Reverso GT.

Now after a few trades I am filtering down potential candidates to buy next. One of the strongest contender is IWC.

I like the Mark series due to the simple classic design and also the date function that is seamlessly integrated. There is a dealer with Mark XII full with box and papers for sale. I have read up on this legendary piece. The 36mm should be perfect for my small wrist. Tritium markers should have turned color by now.

My concern is durability. It is not that old (circa 1990s) but there has been discussions about the JLC caliber's reliability. The IWC forum mods have mentioned the difficulty oiling contact points which may cause issues with power reserve/accuracy.

Considering the points above, is it still a good choice for daily rotation? I usually try to spread the wrist time of my watches. It will definitely not be a beater.

I think the dealer is asking for a low USD 3xxx.

Now the Mark XV is more robust with ETA movement and a bit bigger at 38. But I see the online prices are about on par at the 3xxx mark.

what's important to you:

a) a bit more exclusivity, JLC movement, harder to service

b) more common ETA movement but serviced more easily and you can likely wear more frequently, a little better size, much better bracelet than the XII.

i opted for the later and i've never looked back. my XV will stey in the collection till I decide to pass it on to a niece or nephew.

20150923175531_y1yxwvpttja.jpg

I apologize for the oft-repeated topic. I see I am not the first one to have the same problems choosing.

I do like the El Primero Chronomaster Moonphase. But it seems a little too "elaborate" of a watch for regular wear. Well actually I haven't tried any of the watches I'm considering next. It happens that a vintage dealer has a full set Mk XII for sale.