Sign in to follow this  
2cute

Portuguese Chronograph - Blue Hands or Gold Hands (3714-45 or 3714-46)?

Hey guys,

Looking to make a move on the Portuguese Chronograph and I'm torn between the blue hands or the gold hands (both on the white dial). This is my first real watch purchase and I would like to make this an everyday watch (for business during the week and casual weekend wear).

I think the blue is obviously a little more sporty and unique but I'm afraid that it might not be the best choice for an everyday watch. The gold hands seem pretty classic but could be a little bit flashy. For either of them, I would use a brown leather strap. What do you guys think?

20150923175656_c4dnfk3ich2.png

20150923175657_jszgkyofz4p.png

Me personally I would go with the blue hands an numbers. The blue croc strap is nice and goes with everything. Plus it would look great with a brown croc strap as well. I have many watches with blue hands and numbers and they look great dressed up or dressed down. The gold hand and number watch looks crappy. It has a mix of blue and gold. Not a fan.

If you check my topic from 1 month ago, you'll see that I had the same dilema.

Big doubt about my future first IWC

So I bought mine last Monday (27/08) and took 20 minutes checking both, wearing them, asking my wife and the two girls (sellers) who were with us...

It was a VERY HARD decision ! But in the end, I picked the IW371446 (Blue hands) and I could even have customized the straps choosing other colors. I actually wanted to see how it would be with the Portofino's milanese strap but they said it would cost extra US$ 2.200,00 !!!!!!!!!!

Obviously I ended up getting it original (blue croc strap) and haven't regreted for a single moment. The gold hands one seemed to me a bit flat and too much "social" where the blue hands one would totally fit in both ocasions more sport AND very social... You have to check for yourself... And remember: don't be based with most pictures, specially from IWC website. The real thing might look different to you than compared to studio pictures.

But whatever you choose, it's a dream's watch ! You can't go wrong !

Good luck !

To contrast fdm79,

Obviously he's biased towards the 3714-46, and I'm biased towards the 3714-45...

I think the contrasting coloured hands is really nice, as the chrono counters are blued steel and the rest of the watch is gold coloured. Also, you have to consider the fact that the 3714-45 is the default model of the 3714 as it was numbered the 3714-01 before the deployant buckle addition in late 2011.

The 3714-46 is more sporty as the 3714-45 is more dressy, but honestly, both will look great, no matter the choice. You have to also consider that I think the 3714-46 is more matte in appearance as the hands and numerals are not reflective, and that the 3714-45 has more "flash".

Well... LOL...

This comedy price is here in my country... Of course I'm very aware that this is not the price in the rest of the world...

But I am still VERY curious to see that bracelet with the Portuguese Chrono ! Even tried to google it but with no success.

Interesting how everyone is voting for blue +_+ where is the love for the gold hands?

I once had the same problem when I was picking my first watch, 3714.

I actually bought mine from forum sponsor, ACE (/wave Tamarah), and picked up the blue hand at first and changed my decision at the last minute to the gold hand.

Quick and obvious suggestion is that you should try on and see for yourself.

When I was picking this up, I too, had to think about wearing them with suit/business casual to casual like you do and blue was too casual for suit.

I had an opportunity to check both of them out from local AD and changed my mind at the last minute.

I can't say for the blue dial as I don' own it and I have only worn it couple of times from the AD but, gold dial is just classic and gorgeous.

(Especially when you are outside in the sun, the white dial and the gold hands is just magnificent!)

Fatz028 mentioned about Brown strap and I would have to say I disagree with his comment.

I personally think the Brown strap goes much better with gold than the blue.

I have both Black and Brown strap and wore mine with black strap about a year and changed to brown strap and...just wow..you just have to see it for yourself.

I can assure you that you will not regret with gold but it all comes down to your taste and preference. =)

Good luck

Gerald