Sign in to follow this  
Yvonne

Trade my Mark XVII for a Portofino auto black dial???

Looks like I may have a chance to trade my LNIB Mark XVII for a NIB Portofino. Currently wearing the MK on a Nato strap and it looks very military. The Portofino is very elegant and more dressy maybe. Any thoughts?

20150923175724_4wn4iel5004.JPG

20150923175726_qtiumy1jioh.jpg

I would wait and add the Portofino in the future. For a trade though, I would rather trading it for a Portuguese, as it is a classic and more versatile. The Portofino is nice, but all you are getting is the look, and there are several other cheaper alternatives that look similar out there.

These 4 replies combined sum up my thinking. Personally, I don't "get" the Portofino. It's nice enough, IWC quality and all, but lacks "character & personality". Both the Mark & Portuguese series / families have plenty of that.

So with that said, I wouldn't. If you want to trade (up), go for the Portuguese. Better yet, keep your Mark XVII and add the Portuguese once your budget allows.

I do as I preach - never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd own more than one IWC:

20150923175730_bwyacyc43ph.jpg

I started with the Portuguese Chrono which I traded for the Auto 7 years later. Then my wife and I got Mark XVI's for our 20th Anniversary.

These are just our opinions, but since you asked ...... Good luck with your decision.

I probably would not trade the Mark for the Portofino. However, I will say that I get a lot of compliments when I wear my Portofino. WIS tend not to like it so much I think because of its relatively humdrum movement. But it is a very elegant and attractive watch that I find people really appreciate.

Sorry to say, the Mark doesn't do much for me. It looks like a Timex to me.

I agree with others in the thread that you should consider one of the Portugieser line and in your shoes that is probably the direction I'd be going if I were looking for a dress watch. That is, if they were not so unnecessarily BIG.