Sign in to follow this  
Samantha

URGENT advice needed on IWC Portuguese Chrono 44 hr reserve

I recently purchased an IWC Portuguese Chrono 371446. If i am not wrong the power reserve for this watch is abt 44 hours.

So i winded the watch to its max at abt 6:50 pm and left it to idle in the iwc box. It stopped running at abt 5:35 pm the next day. It was only functioning for 23 hours!!!. Its way short of the 44 hours. Even if it stops running 1 or 2 hours before the 44 hrs i wouldnt have much of an issue with it.

But 23 hours??

Please advise if this is normal & and if others have experienced similar issues with this watch

Hei hi. Thanks for getting back.

The watch was purchased brand new last year. Still has about 1 year warranty left.

I did not use the watch for quite some time though. About 2 months. I tested the watch twice to see if everything was working normally.

The +/- is about 4 to 6 secs every 24 hours.

The first test i did, i wound the watch about 20 times and left it to idle. Inbetween i wore the watch for about say half an hour and probably another half an hour to clean the watch.After which it was left to idle again. The power reserve stopped at 43 hours.

So i decided to test it one more time just to make sure. I wound the watch abt 25 times till i felt the tension in the crown. I nvr wore the watch or wound it in between. But this time it lasted only 23 hours.

Is this normal?

Hei thanks for the advice .. i jus realised a while ago that my 20 rotations may not have been full rotations at all. highly likely it was half rotations.

The watch stopped a while ago.So this time i wound it more than 30 times till i started hearing a slight click sound..I was afraid it was not something good to hear this clicking.

I guess it means the watch is fully wound and the clutch mechanism is causing the clicking sound..Hope i didnt damage my watch.

But it makes sense that 20 half rotations would only give me half the power.. So lets see if this time it can last up to at least 40-42 hrs with my supposed full winding .

I will keep you guys updated. Thanks alot guys.

Do continue to give me any advise if you feel there is any.. (:

Wear the watch more then stress if it does it

Your watch is an auto so the manual wind function is more a kick start / maintenance function rather than taking it to full power reserve. When I've manually wound my autos and left them their reserve is never anywhere near full capacity.

Wear the watch for a couple of days (full days) then check it. If it continues then take it back. I have a feeling your watch is doing that because it's not being worn.

The 4/6 seconds is within normal tolerances.

To get full 44 hrs of power reserve, you need to wear the watch for about 10 hours straight with moderate level of activities - basically, sitting in front of a laptop typing these "urgent" posts wont get you there. Walk around, go for arun, do some shopping - the PR should be just fine, and it will run for well over 50 hrs...

I am slightly shocked in some of these comments ... manual winding is a kick start? a full manual wind will deliver a full power reserve. You cannot over wind a auto, that faint click is where you want to be. If you think the watch is defective let a service centre check it out. Check out the IWC forum if you have questions, at least you will get accurate feedback.

Hei guys thanks for all ur advice .. i set the portuguese chrono two days ago at 520 pm and i fully winded it till i started hearing the click sound. I left it to idle without wearing the watch or winding it in between. N the watch is still running now after 47 hours.. The power reserve is fine after all. And i am very very happy. The +/- is 9 secs after 47 hours and this is well within tolerance. So everything is working normally . (:

Die skim you are spot on .. the watch should run at least 42 hrs after a full manual wind. The power reserve should last even without using it in between after a full manual wind.

My mistake was that i did not do full rotations. I thought i was doing full rotations but in reality i was only doing half rotations which is why power stopped stopped at 20-24 hrs initially.

So thanks again for all ur advice... Much appreciated . Below is a pic of my watch.

The portuguese chrono is absolute classic. My next one would be an IWC Portuguese Auto 7 days (hopefully in the future)

Attachment 5223530