Sign in to follow this  
jason

IWC PORTUGIESER 5007 Issue ? or Normal ?

Morning,

I recently purchased (June 2015) a brand new IWC 5007 7 day reserve. A week ago I was on business trip and left the watch at home, when I came back -

1. The watch stopped, that was expected, since when I left the reserve indicator showed only 2 or 3 days remaining of the reserve.

2. The watch stopped RIGHT AT THE BEGINNING OF THE RED ZONE.....I would expect it to go thru the red zone...

3. When I tried to would it manually , it didn't start immediately, and only started after I moved the watch itself back and forth ("swang" it back and forth imitating hand move)

Does the above make sense ? or I should go to the AD ?

Thank you

I emailed IWC and got the following response:

Dear Mr. .......,

Thank you forthe interest that you have shown in IWC Schaffhausen.

In regards toyour inquiry, the power reserve of a timepiece is like a tank of gas for yourcar; the closer it get to empty the less consistent it will perform. Whatyou have experienced is with your timepiece is to be expected. Your watchwill require a full wind and movement of the wrist to maintain power after ithas been depleted.

We remain atyour disposal for any further information you may require.

Sincerelyyours,

Traci

IWC Concierge

IWC NorthAmerica

645 Fifth Avenue, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10022

This is not atypical for mechanical watches--isochronism issues and such. But IWC's comparison to a car's gas tank is off the mark. My truck runs the same whether the tank is full or the fuel warning light is on. But I drive a Toyota, so maybe a Ferrari is different.

My 5001 runs all the way down to zero without ever stopping. This happens all the time without any issue. IWC claims that these movements actually have a theoretical eight day power reserve, but they stop it at seven because the last portion of tension on the spring can't guarantee reliable time keeping. (http://www.thepurists.net/patrons/me...c/iwc_reve.htm)

I would have thought that this measure would prevent this family of movements from having the issue that you describe. If it's a used watch with a manufacture date before 2008 or so, it's possible that it's a matter of old oils causing resistance and stopping the movement when the spring tension is weak. If it's a brand new watch, then it may just need some running time to get broken in and make the oils more viscous.

If the problem continues, I'd get it serviced on warranty. Sure smacking it may get the balance wheel running, but I'd want to know that there isn't any speck of dust or oil preventing it from running properly and stopping before the spring gets to zero.

I too have a new 5007 and the watch stops at in the 1 to 2 days' reserve remaining on the PR indicator. Somewhat annoying to say the least. I'm going to try a few things and see if I can get it to run down more. If not, it's going back.

power reserve indicator is driven by a planetary gear system. When a watch maker does initial hand setting, he should fully wind the mainspring, and probably over-wind the watch, and then set power reserve hand to the outer edge of day 7 marker. In this case, the hand will point to edge of day 1 or somewhere between day 1 and day 7 after mainspring is fully released, depends on the mainspring tolerance.

Your case is the power reserve hand was not set at full power, or the watchmaker installed the wrong mainspring. You can easily test this: just fully wind the watch, if the hand stop at the edge of day 7, then your mainspring has issue. If the hand overpass day 7, then it was set in the wrong position.

There is the third possibility, your power reserve hand itself has not been set firmly and it is moving around.

Either way is a quality control issue.Planetary gear system is not a capacitive measurement of your car's gas tank. The location of hand should be exact.