Sign in to follow this  
Ydn2H3

What am I paying for when buying a IWC Portofino?

Hey all,

I have a question regarding pricing and what I actually get for the money I am paying. I am thinking about buying either a IWC portofino (

IW356504) or a Nomos Tangente.. I just came back from the watch seller and I really like both models. But there is quite a significant price difference between those two (Nomos around 1700 and the IWC a little bit more than 4000). I understand that both watches are very high quality and very good watches. But (besides the brand): what am I getting by paying more than 2300 more for the IWC? Does it have better materials? Is it more complicated to make? Is it more sturdy? As I am still new to the watch world I am really curious what makes the price difference... Thanks a lot in advance! :)

While I agree totally that IWC spends alot on marketing, I believe Kevin Spacey wears IWC on his own volition and not through some sort of sponsorship deal. He wears them on magazines, events, etc. I believe all on his own.

It really isn't fair to compare the most entry level Nomos to an entry level IWC. The Tangente is a hand wind, simple watch with a printed dial. The Portofino has a date, applied indices (most likely embossed instead of applied), double AR and is an automatic.

You would need to compare the Nomos Zurich Date which comes with all the bells and whistles as the IWC Portofino. They both retail for around $5000 USD.

Sure the movements differ greatly but this would be a more fair comparison.

Its just Nomos fault that there most basic entry level watch provides an AMAZING value when compared to others in its price category.

How many full page GQ, Economist, NYTimes, Forbs etc etc etc ads of Nomos have you seen lately? Or spotted a herd of over-payed celebs "rocking" their entry-level Nomos watches in a 5 min "movie"? Any Nomos boutiques with lavish interiors, strategically located in most exclusive areas of most expensive cities of this planet? If you answer is "No" to all of the above, then you know what you pay for:)

You'd get a huge bang for your buck with Nomos in this category, hands down. Plus its a more "unusual", special piece from a brand that many people dont know - and very nicely packaged and presented at this.