Sign in to follow this  
2cute

Buying a Portuguese Hand Wound IW5454-08

Hey guys,

I've always been a Rolex and Panerai guy. I've had a love and respect for IWC, but haven't yet had a chance/funds to purchase one. I've always wanted a Big Pilot, and of course I'm always drooling over IWC's perpetual calendars.

A couple of weeks ago, I was traveling and found a Portuguese Hand Wound IW5454-08 at an airport at just the right price! I really like it but I wasn't actually looking to buy a watch. I like the 44mm size (no it's not too big!), and how thin it is (10mm!).

The rep. kept saying that I should buy it right then and there because I was not going to find a that same price anywhere else. I ignored what she said and left, but later I checked online and indeed the price was unmatched! I figure this might be my chance to enter the IWC world at a reasonable price. I'll be flying through the same airport next week, and have already called the store and asked them to hold the watch for me.

Meanwhile, I've been trying to learn more about the watch and I read somewhere that it was only produced in limited quantities before being discontinued, but was looking to learn more information. Does anyone have more information about this watch?

- What do you guys think of this particular watch?

- How good is the movement?

- Why was the watch discontinued?

- How closely does this design resemble the original Portuguese?

- Should I go for it?

20150923180543_1qmmngtkckk.gif

Thanks!

-Youssef

My take is that IWC makes some beautiful watches, particularly their watches with manufacture movements. That said, they don't seem to be particularly good value for money at their respective price points and you seem to pay a big premium for the IWC name. If one wanted, one could pick up a solid gold Zenith or stainless steel Jaeger LeCoultre with complications for similar money as this IWC.

Personally, I also feel the watch is too big for as dressy as it is unless one has huge wrists. It is not that one can't wear a 44mm dressy watch (my Hamilton conversion is this size), but it is larger enough it feels a bit odd for a dress watch which leaves it almost inappropriate for the very formal and almost begs for acquiring another dress watch for this purpose...

If I really liked this dial aesthetic, I would take a hard look at Hentschel (for probably similar money, but a more manageable size) or Dornbluth (for a savings)...

This is quite true, and I agree. I would note, however, that it seems that IWCs can be had at greater discounts than JLCs so the price differential wasn't as pronounced as the MSRPs suggest. You had suggested JLC when I was looking IWCs, and you were right. The Master Control Chrono is a stunner. The AD had both so it was a very hard decision indeed.

What others already said: ultimately it boils down to taste and personal preference and the choice is yours entirely. I love this watch, think it looks fabulous and if it were only 38 or 39mm in diameter, it would be in my collection. However, 44mm is just a little too much.

In your case, you are used to big watches (Panerai, Rolex) so I'm assuming this one will fit your wrist nicely. And with that ......

Good luck, let us know your decisions and pictures if you do get the watch.

History of the IWC Portuguese

History of the IWC Portuguese | Time and Watches

I think it's pretty close to the original and the size and proportion is great. IMO, it's not meant to be a dress watch anyway.

I'd say go for it!