Sign in to follow this  
Heber

IWC Flieger Collection

Dear IWC enthusiasts, I wanted to share with you the beginning my journey of collecting. I've gone through many stages during this intention of collecting, tried many other brands, researched many vintage and modern watches and finally understood that what I liked the most at the beginning was going to be my true passion, the IWC Pilot watches. The history, the movement, the design... everything I looked for is in the family.

The collection is growing but after a year here I am, with my modest IWC Flieger collection. Hope to hear year thoughts and recommendations

20150923180343_qqmey42vtx1.jpg

20150923180346_hlle2yi1bdh.jpg

20150923180349_ackzc1nwi1m.jpg

20150923180352_mfg34hnlw1v.jpg

20150923180355_amarletruxh.jpg

That doesn't look modest to me - fantastic watches and grouped very appropriately. Only problem I would guess, if you're like me, is that when you acquire your next one, it'll just fuel your desire for the next next! You know what you like - and why - so it's natural that you want to collect each and every variation, no matter how similar they may appear superficially.

Thanks! I really appreciate your comment. As you mentioned, I guess it's the natural instinct that we have, our motivation of collecting. It's not materialistic, at least for me, the process of hunting, thoughtfully planning every aspect of it and then seeing it on your wrist... It's just really fun. I think it's an interesting level of collecting, first to be studying what you are interested in and then to be seeing those small details which superficially might look the same to others but which are actually important for you.

Great collection. What is the silver-dial model? Haven't seen that one before. Looks more like a Portuguese. Perhaps you could post a few details--reference number, production year, diameter, etc. Love the different look of that one. Thanks.

Thanks! I got this piece three weeks ago actually and its specs were totally new to me as well. After a detailed research I found out that IWC didn't name their watches with a specific model name in 40's but the with their caliber numbers. These ones are called "Hermet" these days, it comes from the definition of hermetically sealed cases. First I also thought that it could belong to the Portuguese family. Supported by some other discussions on IWC forums, I believe that this piece might be a civilian version of the Mark IX or Mark X which their dial design look similar to this one. There is a picture of a vintage ad, which titles these cases as sports-watches, extra tight and anti-magnetic which are the specs found in pilots watches.

The dial is in cream colour, it's got the hand-wound cal.83 movement, the case diameter is 37mm which is unusual for its time, and because it is in mint condition I went after this piece and been very happy with it so far. I think it supports the collection well with it's vintage specs and looks. Of course IWC will actually tell me the truth about the watch, these information were just fun for me to research about. I will soon go to Schaffhausen, order a certificate and will share here as well.