Sign in to follow this  
Debbie

New IWC Failure

Well, my brand spankin new Portugese Chronograph Classic is going back to the AD after only 2 weeks. Starting last week, I noticed that the fly back feature would sporadically freeze up the movement. The subregister seconds hand would stop AND the chronograph seconds hand would not fly back unless the pusher was pressed twice. Today, the fly back feature is not working at all and the chronograph seconds hand is resetting from -15 to +15 seconds of zero. I have heard of this happening in the past with the Spitfire Chrono, but this was soon after the release of the new movement. I erroneously believed that the bugs had been worked out. Really disappointed, but I am hoping that IWC does the right thing and takes care of this promptly. I'mnot flaming the brand (lemons happen), and will be happy as a clam if this gets sorted quickly. Just thought I'd let you all know in case anyone was looking at at any of the newer IWCs with the in-house movement.

The same thing happened to me with the Spitfire Chronograph which contains the same movement. If you check the IWC forums on their website you'll see that this is a recurring problem with the spitfire, though I haven't seen anything about it occurring in the chronograph classic. Thankfully it happened right away for me, the first day of purchase, and I immediately returned it. Check out the website and see what other owners have done.

I'm glad that at the least your AD (I assume they are the one who helped) pulled this through for you. After reading through some of the threads at the official IWC forum, I was astonished by the number of failures they have had with this flyback movement, especially so with yours given how long this movement has been in production. Looking at their history, it sounds to me that their strategy is to keep the defect private, work on a fix, and just release new movements with the fix while implementing the fix when the older watches are sent in for service. I'm making this assumption based on what they did to the 7-day movement.

So while I feel that they will eventually fix your watch (either you will get a problem-free watch as a replacement this time, or when they find a cure to the defect fix it during service time), it is still a shame you have to endure this experience with an otherwise really beautiful watch. I hope that your replacement will be running perfectly, and you can enjoy it many more years to come.

Just to followup on the movement issue: I just received the new Yacht club which runs the same flyback movement. Beautiful watch in a much more reasonable size. When engaging the chronograph the second hand does pause for about half a second. Not thrilled but the movement otherwise seems fine. MY AD tells me IWC is producing a new automatic movement for both three hand and chronograph and we'll see it first in the pilot line within two years.