Sign in to follow this  
lovecheese

IWC Portugese Chronograph- "not worth the money"

Hi All

I am just about ready to purchase the IWC Portugese Chronograph. I have done some reading on this forum and I'm curious for further explanation on what seems to be a general opinion that the watch is "not worth the money".

I am interested in this watch because of its looks and I believe IWC is a respectable brand.

Is this solely based on the movement not being in house? 7750 seems to get generally positive feedback on this forum. I am not particularly concerned with who makes the movement, how complicated it is.... I am concerned if it doesn't operate well and is not reliable. Am I paying for a Mercedes and getting a kia engine? I guess that would bother me.

I have looked at many watch brands and cannot seem to find anything else I like as much for $6,000-$8,000.

Thanks

Land

Agreed. I still pine for the Ingenieur 3239, which at $6800 retail for an ETA 2892 is offensive to many. But I love the size, design, and Ingenieur history, and in the world of unnecessary luxury goods, probably best to go with your heart. At the risk of stating the obvious, the markup on luxury watches is huge, so if you're buying new try to get the best discount you can, which can sometimes be as much as 30% off retail.

Buy it if you like it. IWC in general are over priced. They looks gorgeous but compared to what else you can get they are more pricey. In saying that I think this is based on the IWC of today, go back 10 years and it's a different story

That hasn't stopped me from buying IWC though, they look amazing

Welcome to the forums! beautiful watch, but poor value for money in my view given the movement. Have a look at the Glashutte Original Senator Sixties/Seveties chronograph and JLC... If a manufacture movement doesn't matter to you, it's a great looking piece so buy away...