Sign in to follow this  
KaHIjsa

Mark XII or Mark XV

Hi all,

I would be glad if you could help me decide. I'm really into both Mark XII and XV, I currently own a 3706 and I think that Mark will pair up nicely with the chrono as it has some different elements in its functionality and design. So I just have to decide on which one to get... I want to hear your experiences and ideas on the movement, design, wrist presence, comfort, personal preferences, pros and cons, your reasons... I'm not effected by the trends, so I'm looking for a timeless decision. I'm 27 and I have a 7'' wrist, which one do you think would wear better on me? I'm scared that 36mm might be too small? And of course your photos would really work.

Thanks!

I never owned either so I cannot comment on how they would wear on your wrist.

But what a dilemma you have: one vintage and the other a modern interpretation of a classic pilot watch. From a horology point of view, the Mark XII is "the" watch to get between the two. It has historical significance, much more interesting movement (JLC 889/2), and one that is sought after by many, especially in good condition. On the other hand, my guess is that 36mm just by its size will look pretty small on your wrist by today's standard (especially for a sporty pilot watch). Difficult to get one in great condition, and maintenance will be more expensive.

I would get the XV. 38mm is a good size. In fact, I've always liked the white dial version with the cool blued second hand. I had a Spitfire UTC a few years back which was 39mm. If I were to get another IWC pilot, it would be a Mark XV, black or white dial. 36mm is not always too small, for example the older 36mm Rolex Explorer I think looks better than the current 39mm version, but the bracelet gives it a bit more wrist presence. I think the Mark XII would wear a bit small on your wrist, but this is all subjective personal taste.

I would go for the XV (with a buffalo strap ... yeahhhh!!) for the following reasons:

1) the size, 38 mm is more comfortable to wear,

2) the caliber, the XII is powered by a JLC 889/2 I think, imho it is less reliable than the Eta 2892-2 based mvt on XV (I heard some bad experience feedbacks on XII).

and just for information, Harrison Ford had a XV in the movie firewall ;), really nice watch!

Good luck in you choice!!!

Thank you all for the answers, I really appreciate your inputs!

Now it became even harder for me to choose as I've recently discovered the Mark XV Spitfire Battle of Britain :) Anyone wants to comment on this piece?

It is an interesting watch no doubt, and much more rare of course; I think only 1000 were made. If that vintage look appeals to you, by all means get one. I would still prefer the regular Mark XV. But I will say I am not a fan of dates on watches in general, so that Spitfire model has that in its favor, at least for me. Plus that Spitfire case back is very cool. It is a genuine limited edition watch before everyone (including IWC) started going crazy with "limited editions" seemingly every few months. Two completely different looks and you can't go wrong with either.

i agree with many here that while the 12 is historically more significant, i'd worry about the older movement/casing. if you plan on making this a 'heavy rotation' piece i'd go with the more modern piece.

It's been a tough one, but I went for the XV, it's in mint condition, fully serviced, box and papers, t dial... I think I made the right decision. It will arrive next week. Thank you everyone, your suggestions really helped!