Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Buying IWC Mark XVI from US to Canada

I've made up my mind and will be buying a IWC Mark XVI

20150923181255_euna3x3xxy2.gif

It's a gorgeous piece and I've come to terms with the fact that there aren't really watches with a similar vibe in the <3K segment with an in-house movement, so ETA it is.

I found a good condition unit with original box and papers and the seller is willing to part with it for 2.5K USD.

The only problem is that I'm living in Canada, and I've calculated that taxes and duties will come up to around 500 CAD (or 400 US)! Shipping would come in via Fedex International Priority, meaning that I'd pay a flat brokerage of $10. The seller refuses to ship using USPS (which occasionally slip through Canadian customs completely) as it is not insured.

The unfortunate thing is that after browsing the net for a day or so it's very very rare for me to find a seller in Canada who sells the XVI (even historically they pop up only once every few months or so).

My question is this: In your opinion does the watch seem suddenly "not-worth-it" now that I have to pay 2.9K for the watch, or would you evaluate customs/taxes as a normal transaction cost that should be evaluated independently from the watch itself?

I diasagree with this asessment. If you are willing to go preowned, you could find Zenith El Primero, Omega Speedmaster Proefessional, Tag 1887 which are all sporty wears with manufacture movements for around 3k. Damasko has the DK 100/101 ( finding one preowned could take time though).

There's deifinitely nothing wrong with the Mark Flieger, but I certainly don't think you have to opt for ETA In this price range unless you want to...

500 CAD really stings. But sounds like you have made a firm decision to get the Mark XVI, and it is a handsome piece in a perfect size. I would try to mentally separate the duties and taxes, get the watch and enjoy it. On chrono24 mint Mark XVI's on strap are $2700-4200. Of course these are the asking prices, but nevertheless I think even with the extra fees you are still in the ballpark. I assume you are getting the watch on strap, but if you are getting the bracelet, well then that is of course a much better deal. Hope it all works out for you.

im a fellow canadian. if youre close to the border like me, i just ship it to a location near the border and pick it up from there. if im buying groceries the border usually doesnt check. or if youre super paranoid. wear it on your way home and ship the box to yourself from the states.

I did the same thing last summer. I bought Mark XVI Spitfire from US and got it shipped to Canada by FedEx. Even after paying tax and duty (18%) it was worth it (true is that conversion rate was close to 1:1 back than). But as you already know, there are not many options to buy from Canadian sellers and I noticed these days a lot of Canadians sell for US dollars anyways (due to weak CAD). I'd say go for it, you won't probably find a better deal in Canada.

Nice call! I hope you enjoy yours as much as much as I enjoy mine. I've has mine for about 6.5 years and cannot imagine letting it go.

To me, the tougher call is bracelet or strap. I love the way it looks on a strap, but the bracelet is insanely comfortable and totally care free. I have it on the bracelet now, but could see moving to the strap whenever I buy my next (third) watch.