Sign in to follow this  
lovecheese

Question on Spitfire 3878----strap options

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to look for an OEM strap for the 3878 (currently on bracelet) and am wondering if the deployment clasp used is specific only to this model. I checked with the IWC boutique and the price is, well, more expensive than the strap itself. I am thinking of just getting the strap on the tang buckle but am unsure if the strap is available in this option.

Part of me is thinking of just ordering a different brown or black pilot strap and just use the tang buckle.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

From what I see on the web, the OEM strap for your 3878 looks like a pretty standard brown gator strap. I would be surprised if IWC does not have an OEM one for tang buckles. If not, I'm sure you can find other OEM or non-OEM straps that will fit your watch and looks great.

Depending on the price difference between the deployant and the tang buckle, the benefit so prolonging the life of a strap might justify the difference. If money is a concern, I personally will go for non-OEM straps instead to save money. There are plenty of great quality non-OEM strap for pilot watches, and you can customize the size to fit your deployant or tang buckles.

Here is one for my Mark XVI:

20150923181343_mkz1b0tgjjd.jpg

IWC OEM straps made to work with either tang or deployment, I've gone back and forth on a few I have, there is no issue whatsoever. If you in doubt, have the boutique folks put it on the watch for you, so you can decide, they are normally cool with it

To use a buckle or deployant you will need the standard tang strap. A tang would not work with the deployant strap. I prefer a deployant over a tang as it saves the strap and is more secure when taking off and on. I switch my 3878 between strap and bracelet as I like to change on how I feel. Mine is a deployant length strap as this is what it came with. On my other IWCs i use standard length straps with deployants as I prefer the fit like that.