Sign in to follow this  
Vuvial

Mark XII vs hard to find variant of Mark XVI

Hi guys,

I have two choices, which cost approx. the same on the used market - around $3000 for a full set.

Mark XII

- classic looks

- finer movement

- available option to purchase without B&P and shave at least $500 off

Mark XVI (IW3256)

- 34mm

The smaller size would sit better on my 6" (lady) wrist, and this model has been super-tough to hunt down. Not that the XII would overhang. But, it would cover the top of my wrist completely and play a less versatile role.

- less fragile movement

Which one should I go for? Will the XVI depreciate quite quickly despite its relative rarity? Cheers!

Did you get confused between the two? The Mark XVI is 39mm with a more modern and robust movement. I have that watch and similar wrong size and I think it should fit fine on your wrist. I would recommend that over the XII if you plan to use it as a daily wearer. Even though the price is similar the maintenance for the XII will be substantially higher. And it's much harder to find one in good condition. I wouldn't get the XII unless you actually want a vintage watch.

Thanks for your input!

I have found a XII in good condition, but without B&P. Should the papers matter?

Is the JLC movement that fragile? Why would maintenance cost more? How much more? Is it not supposed to be desirable?

The Mark XVI came in 34mm and 39mm. The little known ladies' size took months to find. Not confused. Just torn!

Oh wow I didn't know that! Would've gotten that for my wife if I had known.

From a horological standpoint, the Mark XII is much more desirable than the XVI due to both of its direct historic lineage and more interesting movement as you mentioned. However due to the age of the movement, my understanding is that there will be more wear and tear and parts can be difficult to source and more expensive than the standard eta movement. WR is probably not as good either. That's why I would recommend it only if you are in for a vintage watch. Otherwise, the XVI is much more easy to maintain.

You might find this discussion about the different Marks at the official IWC forum interesting: "9" or no "9"? | Forum | IWC Schaffhausen

And here is a post at the official IWC forum discussing some problems with the JLC movement in the Mk XII: My IWC mark XII - After 6 months ownership | Forum | IWC (note that even their very knowledgeable moderator Michael Friedberg commented that the movement can be difficult to service).

To clarify, my recommendation really depends on whether you want to own a vintage piece with more historical significance, or a modern interpretation of it. I always associate vintage watches with delicacy and high maintenance, and I would never wear a vintage piece like the Mk XII the way I would wear my XVI. So it really comes down to your preference. If you like the XII look, as suggested by dhtjr, you should look into an XV. If you really want a true vintage piece with better historical lineage, you should just go for the XI, IMO.

Even on a 6" wrist, a 34mm Mark would look too small by today's standard, especially for a sporty pilot watch. If people can wear 46mm big pilot, we shouldn't have any issue wearing a 39mm small pilots

20150923181029_1g3c1c0jd13.gif

I was born and raised in Hong Kong, and I would want to wear something tough to brace the weather there

20150923181029_spjoomldory.gif

But seeing that you have quite a few watches in your rotation, an XII can be used in special occasions.

Either way, please let us know your decision, and post pictures!

I had a think about how and where the IWC would fit in my collection. The AT (36mm sport) is staying, as is the Carrera (fragile first love), leaving the Tudor (superfluous) and GS (work) to be flipped and replaced. The XVI could do it - a toolish but work-appropriate watch on weekday duty. Our weather has been glorious this week! But, it won't be for long......

I get vintage. I do. But, it will have to be another piece.

Here's what the 34mm will look like.

20150923181031_c0lhq05xi3i.jpg

They also made a 34mm Spitfire.

20150923181032_wvgfrbjeoof.jpg

The 34mm actually looks good on your wrist. Although I feel that a 39mm would work too, as I think it's ok to have a large pilot watch. I think the way you envision to wear the Mark is perfect. For Hong Kong though, if you are not planning to get one on bracelet (not sure if bracelet is available for the 34mm version), I would recommend getting a high performance water proof leather or kevlar/rubber strap. Good luck on your decision!

I really like the Mark XII. It is such a gorgeous and beautiful watch and I really don't think the 39mm size would look that big on your wrist. Can you do a mock up of how the the Mark XII will look like on your wrist to enable a visual comparison?

Exactly how big is your wrist? That photo of the 34 XVI on your wrist looks just about right, but closeup shots tend to exaggerate the watch size. Unless your wrist is about 5-5.5 inches in circumference, I still say track down a Mark XV at 38mm, and get it on the bracelet for the Hong Kong climate. On the other hand, I concede that sometimes small diameter watches look fine. I have a smallish 6.5 wrist, and felt the old Rolex Explorer 36mm looked better on me than the new 39mm version, which actually surprised me (I don't own either of them, just compared them once). So I guess it depends.