Sign in to follow this  
daytonaking

Advice on Portuguese

Hey all,

This is the current collection

20150923181640_bjgoiodnvam.jpg

Want to add a IWC Portuguese very soon. Love the automatic 7day and the Chrono.

Any advice on which is better? I'm leaning towards the Chrono as I have 6.5 wrists and have always admired that dial.

Also town between the Silver dial with blue hands and numbers vs the rose gold.

Thanks for any tips.

I have the same size wrist, and while I love the 7-day, it just wears too chunky for my wrist, at least for my taste. Plus, as much as I love the silver dial with blue on the 7-day, I have a pet peeve against contrasting bright white date windows that interrupt the warmth of silver dials. So if I were to get the 7-day, I would go with the black dial because the dark dial might wear a tad smaller to the eye, and the date wheel matches. But on the dateless Portuguese chronograph this is not a concern, and the watch will fit better. Of course, you're giving up the manufacture movement, which is a big deal, and IWC is now releasing a new and improved version of the movement. So if you go with the chrono silver dial, I vote the one with blue hands and numbers. I think it's a bit more versatile without all the rose gold, and it looks like you've got the dress watch category covered in your current collection.

The "which one is better?" question will never be answered - you will hear arguments for both and the (non) manufacture movement "issue" really isn't an issue but a sentiment and argument, quite nicely addressed by tony20009 in this thread. No advice on dial color can -or should- be given; it's all a very personal choice, one that you (and you alone) need to be comfortable with.

With all of that out of the way, I opted for the Portuguese Chronograph, light dial, blue numerals, back in 2003 and upgraded to the Portuguese Automatic 7-day, same color combination, in 2010. No regrets whatsoever and no indications that one is better than the other.

Both pieces have the same diameter, yet the 7-day is noticeable thicker and as such appears and feels chunkier and clunkier on your wrist (6.75" for me), but I don't think that should keep you from getting it.

Either Portuguese is a great choice and a watch you will enjoy for many years to come. Whatever dial is most appealing to you - you can't go wrong. And it will be a nice addition and diversification to your beautiful collection.

Good luck and keep us posted.

It will be hard for me to give you an unbiased view as I am a fan - this is another beauty and has a great / nifty movement. It is a significant step up from the 3714 series Chronographs, both in price and complexity / capability of the movement. I really like the "clock-like sub-dial" for chrono-minutes and hours which makes it easier (imho - yvmv) to read elapsed time. Date is another plus.

But somehow, this watch is not for me (don't know why - maybe it will grow on me) and prefer the Portuguese Auto (I know, not a Chronograph) and the 3714 series.

Rather wooly reply but hope it is still somewhat useful.

The difference is about $3k in the grey market (or AD with good discount), not sure if it can get you a 3-hand AT for the difference. I see your point that the price differential is substantial enough that will sway one's decision, and if one is happy with the chrono, it makes sense to save the $3k.