Sign in to follow this  
jason

IWC Mark XVI vs Pilots Chrono 3706

Contemplating my first IWC purchase.. I currently have a Longines Hydroconquest (beater/vacation), vintage Tank Longines (dress watch) and a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date 1500 (everyday/dressy), and I'm looking for a versatile everyday watch that looks a bit sportier.

My wrists are on the small side 6", and I tend to shy away from anything >40mm. Also I wear suits (and travel) quite a bit, so it matters that the watch is versatile to be my be-all-end-all for business trips.

What I like about the XVI:

- Clean and crisp design, reminds me of the big pilot (which I would never be able to wear due to its size)

- Looks more "modern"

- Thinner than the 3706

What I like about the 3706:

- Has heritage (reminiscent of the XII)

- Square hands are quirky and different

What do you guys think?

IWC pilots wear bigger than they are. I have a MK17 on 6.5 wrists and that is borderline big (they are long watches).

Id go the mk16 - not only does it look better but it is also wears smaller

Very tough call. I have and love the Mark XVI. Bought it (new) six years ago and love it as much as the day I bought it. So far, it has been extremely accurate and reliable.

Personally, I think the 3706 is a bit more casual and might be a better fit given your current line up. That said, you can't go wrong either way.