Sign in to follow this  
frenk0

Anyone have the IWC Aquatimer?

Hey IWCers,

I'm interested in the new 2014 Aquatimer Automatic. Does anyone have one that they could comment on and post some nice pictures? I currently have a PO 8500 and a Grand Seiko Snowflake, but I'm interested in the new Aquatimer Autos and the grey dealers have them at a pretty decent discount. Anyways, if anyone could post some pictures or there take on the new models, I'd appreciate some feedback!

Tried one a few weeks ago, the quality is very high, the face has a lot of depth to it and the size is very useable too. It's not cheap though, £4200 here in the UK on rubber (tang, not deployment).

I'm probably going to go for a PO instead, as for that money it just felt a little more special.

20150923181947_mfbxturyyd3.jpg

20150923181952_auc25xzrdj3.jpg

And dirty crop through mirror for size (my wrist is 7.75")

20150923181956_4kpgtfjgoip.jpg

I sold my AT 2000 - 3568, to help fund a purchase of another watch.

However, I missed once it was gone. I liked the quality, the sturdiness and the very well executed finish. It was utterly dependable, and the ETA2892A2 movement was extremely precise - with only about +1s every other day.

So I decided to buy the new 3290.

It is even better made, the ingenious bezel is a joy to use, and it uses the same very solidly made ETA2892A2 movement. Which is a good thing. You'd want something reliable when you buy a diver. A delicate in-house movement, is better reserved for dresswatches and complications, in my opinion.

IWC could have used their own 80110 calibre - its a lovely movement (I know 'cause I've had one under a display back on the Vintage Ingenieur), but it would have made the 3290 bigger and heavier.

One little thing I like about the new Aquatimer, is the flat back (the previous one had a raised back), because it makes the watch less wobbly on the wrist, and a tad more discreete. The legibility is beyond reproach, and the comfort excellent. As always with IWC.

Here's an image of the different versjons of the Aquatimer 3290. I opted for the 3290-4, on bracelet with silver dial, but I bought the rubber strap as well. They come off easily, thank's to IWC's proprietary quick-lock-system, making swapping bracelet for rubber a three seconds job per side.

Would I recommend the 3290? You bet. I find the overall finish and appearance more appealing than a PO or Sub.

20150923182013_ywgevpfscgk.JPG

I got a chance to try this on my hand last night this is lovely, just felt that the rubber strap is a bit thin (light). And it costs very high in Hong Kong (HKD 45,000 with rubber strap whilst HKD52,700 with bracelet) with no discount being offered.

I always wonder if the price is better in european countries

20150923182013_djgwq1scbbu.gif