Sign in to follow this  
Kris33

A dream to buy iwc Portuguese, help needed...

Hi,

Nowadays I start to think on my next watch, and unlike the others before it I would like to buy my first real one. I have few options in mind, but above all is the really stunning iwc portuguese.

However few things bother me,

- first is the price, what is the average "real" price I can get for the average Portuguese?

- second I heard ( as funny as it sound) that the Portuguese isn't reliable and need constant maintenance, any lucky iwc owner care to respond on that? :)

- third ,the most important, I understand that there is few main models, can someone explain those?

They are both stunning.

What is the difference between them?

And what is the price range?

In general I find the chronograph to be more appealing, especially the white dial with blue numbers.

I've read quite a bit on the Portuguese models.

My take is the stunning looks and sheer beauty of the dial is what makes most people buy the watch.

I've read so so things about reliability and there are probably many more accurate watches in the 10-12,000 list price range.

But people live with the faults and issues. I've read more than a few comments from people that said the timekeeping is average to good at best...but they keeping commenting about the beauty the watch and how great it looks. The "who cares" about what time it keeps and just key me stare at the beautiful face of the watch.

Kinda doesn't make sense at times, but that's the boutique watch market.

- now Free

It's impossible to comment in general about reliability/accuracy of IWC portuguese as there are so many different movements in each type.

However, the Portuguese Chronograph is a very reliable/accurate Valjoux 7750 movement. It's not an inhouse movement but this is very durable and quite accurate.

Just know that the 41.9mm case size is a bit deceiving as there's hardly any bezel. So it looks like a much larger watch on the wrist.

It's a beautifully designed watch. The thing to weigh is whether you'd rather step up to the automatic 7 days. It's more expensive w/similar design but you get a huge power reserve and a date (and lose the chronograph).

You can see prices on IWC's website. If you shop around to different Authorized dealers, you'll usually get some discount off of retail.

Here's a picture of mine.

20150923181704_wld3oxpdh4q.jpg

20150923181704_h0iiovttehl.jpg

I've had my Auto for about a month and it's averaging picking up about 2 seconds a day. I read all of the reviews prior to buying, I don't know if I've been fortunate, but what I do know is I love the watch. Great power reserve, great wrist presence, and to be honest it just makes me smile. :)

Your watch model( jhonnyt) is the exact one I want to buy :) even the same color.

It is such a stunning watch.

Funny it doesn't have a date on it...

How many years you own this watch?

And what is the average price of this exact model?

Btw how iwc excuse the fact that this watch contain eta movement, but still cost ( I guess) like in house movement?

Overg,

I've owned it for just 10 months. Price- You should be able to get in neighborhood of 10-20% off of retail price from an authorized dealer.

They price this watch like they do because they can. Their in house movements are several thousand more expensive and this is a good way for people to get introduced to the brand at a lower (yet still quite expensive) price point.

Here's some more on IWC and Valjoux 7750: A popular question answered - From ETA-Valjoux 7750 to Calibre 79320