Sign in to follow this  
thMer2

Price difference between 3714 and 3777?

Can anyone explain this?

3714 is £5.9k and the 3777 is £4.6k

both have Valjoux 7750, albeit maybe the 3714 is slightly more modified with the small seconds at 6 and no date but over a grand difference?

That is indeed the difference. I'm not sure what grade the 7750 is for the 3777 but the 3714 has a chronometer grade 7750 which is further modified moving the seconds hand to 6 oclock whereas the 3777 is an unmodified stock eta movement.

That might be true but they are still really unmodified (not sure finishing counts does it?) IWC used to heavily modify there ETA movements but now ETA provide IWC with movements that meet IWC specs (that info is straight from the IWC/horses mouth).

I think the asking price is ridiculous, it is very very close to JLC/Rolex in house chrono movements and much more than Omega in-house (kind of) movements. But the RRP is also a bit irrelevant as big discounts must be possible surely? Iconicwathces.co.uk discount pretty much all of their brand new IWCs by about 25% or even more.

Had the same question 2 years ago when I was looking at both. Basically, the substantive differences are the modified small seconds subdial location and deployant vs. pin buckle. The underlying reason I am guessing is that one is a Portuguese, which is supposed to be more popular than the pilot chrono. So I did look at those two, and ended up with a JLC.

You paying for a step-up in IWC lineup (Portugese is a notch above Pilot); everything else (moving seconds, removing date etc.) is rather irrelevant as the cost of "modifying" 7750 is negligible to that of a price difference. Thats all.