Sign in to follow this  
Maaria

IWC pricing

Afternoon chaps,

i just wanted to get the opinion of people that actually own IWC watches. I think some IWC watches look beautiful. The pilots, Ingy, Portuguese in particular but some of the pricing just seems a bit silly. Rolex is often seen as a brand that you are paying over the odds for but IWC seem to be taking it a bit further. Something like the 8 day power reserve time only costing something like £7000 sterling. That is above what JLC are charging for the equivalent kind of thing from what I can tell. The amount they charge for an ETA seems to be amongst the highest too. Is the quality really that good compared to JLC, Rolex and say Bremont.

Is The pricing there just to make sure that they remain exclusive?

And and the prices of the big pilot watches, what on earth am I missing there???!!!

i am sure this question has been asked before but just interested to hear what some people thought.

IWC watches are certainly not inexpensive but their watches with in-house movements, like the Big Pilot and Port Auto, aren't priced any more unreasonably than those from other manufacturers. And their ETA based watches aren't any more expensive than those from brands like Panerai and Bremont.

I have a 3717 and 3227 and they are two of my favorite watches. They are finished very nicely and exude quality. I may take some flak from the Bremont fans on the forum but I don't think the young UK brand is currently in the same league and the company has no real history to speak of.

The real question is if YOU think the watches are worth the asking price. If not, then simply look at models from another brand that you think represent better value. I will say that I own a JLC and I think some of their watches are a relative bargain.

I do agree that Bremont cannot be in the same league yet as they are young, despite that the quality is definitely comparable and so I wouldn't expect the price to be so widely different really. Here are some examples of watches that I think are comparable:

Aquatimer - ETA Diver £4150

20150923182316_oasfymrovxe.jpg

Brietling Superocean £3060... Tudor Pelagos £2850... Bremont S2000 £3600

20150923182316_zzpon0mebaz.jpg

Portugese Automatic Chrono Valjoux 7750 based chrono - £5900

20150923182318_pda1fkas1rn.jpg

Bremont Alt-1c £4000 (i think) Zenith do the in house El Primero chromo for £5500

20150923182318_mgbann3rmud.jpg

I know i know, if they are so expensive to me then i don't have to buy them but i just want to see what IWC owners did think of the pricing.

So this activity of investigating the absurd pricing of IWC has backfired. I love IWC now.

They're designs are beautiful, they are the anti-bling, with a perfect balance between finesse and functionality. So far in my young horological journey I have been a big fan of Rolex, but i see them all the time. IWC seem more of an enthusiasts brand.

BUT THEY ARE SO EXPENSIVE... dear lord what have i done

The AT2000 is actually quite an impressive piece in person. The case is really beautifully made and the lumed bezel is very cool. I really liked the Bremont Alt1-c in pictures but was very disappointed in the watch in the metal. It really left me cold. I'm not anti-Bremont but I feel they are way overpriced given what they are and where they are in their history. The secondary market seems to agree, with the watches selling at around 1/2 of their MSRP not long after they're originally sold.

IWCs are expensive. But at a decent discount from an AD (20%) or second hand they are pretty reasonable value, if that can be said of any high-end mechanical timepiece.

"BUT THEY ARE SO EXPENSIVE... dear lord what have i done"

Haha, poor you, totally understand your point, I am having the same dilema currently. I would love to have a Portuguese chrono (black dial) which to me is one of the most perfect watches ever and which I made the mistake to try on my wrist at an AD

20150923182320_xlcdfjwwmmm.gif

Want to have it since then. I agree though that, quality apart, IWC watches seem a bit more expensive than others with comparable timepieces.

Currently I am trying to justify the higher price with the modifications IWC does to the Valjoux 7750 they employ for the Portuguese Chrono. I found some more info on this in a separate WUS thread based on an article from 1998 in the Austrian "Uhrenjournal":

Movement in IWC Portuguese Chrono

Furthermore, IWC seems to employ at least top grade quality (not sure if even chronometre grade). This helps me a bit in that I still need to have this watch

Another point (might be subjective) is that it seems you can get higher discounts on IWC than e.g. on Rolex which in this range seem to have the lowest negotiation margin (at least from what I have found). This seems to apply to new items only, they seem to be relatively stable on the used market, or maybe noone that owned it once wants to give it away again

So I still love the IWC Portuguese Chrono and want to have it. In your case, if you find one day that the perception of IWC having higher pricing bothers you too much, I heard from my AD of trust that e.g. JLC has quite a good price/quality relation and they surely have beautiful tiempieces. Cannot comment on Bremont. Might not yet be the same. The Victory limited edition looked very nice to me but never managed to see it live.

Cheers

Qwatch

thanks for the link, that level of modification is very impressive. I do wonder if that is still the case though as it is a very old article, I hope so, might even send a cheeky email to ask what they do to it. To be honest though I am a fan of ETA movements they are reliable and cheap and easy to service, but the savings when you buy the watch don't seem to be as great when you buy from IWC.

Also does anyone know what IWC are planning on doing with ETA/Swatch restricting parts in 2016, are they moving to Selita? Maybe I will ask that in the email too

Unfortunatelly I did not find anything more recent on this. I was wondering about the ETA restrictions too as I have seen that on a Sinn watch I was looking at also (they moved from ETA to Sellita). Would appreciate if you could post the reponse in case you send the email.

While I heard Sellita was manufacturing parts for ETA for many decades and that they do great movements, I think I would prefer the Portuguese with the current movement, guess I need to save faster then

20150923182320_asjpk1op0nq.gif

Cheers

Qwatch

In my view, the ETA IWC offerings do not represent good value considering you could get a well finished watch elsewhere with a manufacture/prestige movement for similar money. While in-house offerings aren't a bargain, I don't think they are an unreasonable value.

Well, lets say it this way. I would prefer an IWC inhouse movement as well, although I believe certain ETA movements have proved to be very reliable. However, thinking that only because of a watch having a no -inhouse movement makes it being not "worth the money" brings us to a point at which we could say all luxury watches are overpriced which in the end is what they are, a luxury good. I agree that some brands might still be more expensive than others and the fact that this thread was started shows that there are more people out there with this very opinion.

On the other hand, i still love the design of, in my case, the IWC Portuguese Chronograph. To me its the ultimate watch and while I would probably prefer an IWC inhouse movement, I am fine with it having an ETA / Valjoux 7750 which proved to be a workhorse. To sum up, I will definitelly go for it sooner or later!...

Wait a minute, this makes me part of the problem, doesnt it

Guess its a never-ending discussion. Wish the IWCs were cheaper but still consider buying one