Sign in to follow this  
Debbie

Why doesn't the IWC Portofino Automatic (IW356504) has a in house movement :(??

Why oh whyyyyy doesn't the IWC Portofino Automatic (IW356504) has a nice hand wound in house movement?

It think, if it has a hand wound in house movement, it would be the perfect dress, don't you think :)?

20150923183445_yskxryvhu1h.jpg

20150923183446_tx1nc2fiac1.jpg

20150923183447_nfbykmnfjnt.jpg

so PLEASEEEE IWC, make the IW356504 with a hand wound in house movement AND display back!

yeah my only qualms about the portofino automatic is that the backing is really subpar for a watch of this price.. i mean so what if the stainless steel version is supposedly the cheapest of all iwc watches? by slapping it with a plain silver backing just makes the watch look extremely cheap.. it would have been nicer if they chose to go with the sapphire backing

The concept of the Portofino Automatic is to offer an entry level price into the world of IWC - both SS bodies and 18kt. version.

If you'd put their inhouse movement inside, you'll not only ruin that usp but also shuffle the entire product hierarchy in IWC's range and have it cannibalizing other product lines. Additionally the retail price will be probably 100% higher.

As for the saphire crystal, I guess, that IWC did that for

a. cost reason

b. The current base movement is not really visually thrilling

c. it will then compete more with more expensive families in IWC range.

Instead of swapping it for an in-house movement and driving the cost up, I think they should drop the IWC branding and go back to International Watch Co... Looks so much better/more classy on a dress watch IMO.

I'm not too worried about an in house movement for that portofino. It's the entry level for the brand.

They're priced that way for a reason.

Large old school watch companies with the name & pedigree like IWC have to make decisions for their market.

Im more concerned about accurate timekeeping.

That Portofino probably keeps just as good if not better time than a 7 day Portuguese

If you're were more concerned about accurate timekeeping, you would buy a quartz :)

Almost anything keeps time better than the 7-Day LOL .. I still love the 7 Day movement though.. I love that I can go away for a week and my BP is still ticking ..