Sign in to follow this  
Fenney

Genuine Portugieser Automatic

Hi All,

First of all I start by saying that this is one of my very few posts so if it is not in a good place please move it.

For some time now I am prepping to buy an IWC Portuguese Automatic. This will be my 1st IWC purchase and before I make the final decision I would like to get your opinion.

In general what should I take into account checking for authenticity of that model? I found some attractive offers on Chrono24 however I am still considering if -30% of retail price is worth a risk.

One thing which I’ve noticed in the offers I was looking at is a bit different box where the watch was sitting it. Forgive me for a daft question but can someone tell me what exactly that metal plate on the right hand of the watch is? Is a lack of that element a concern at all (I know it’s the watch that matters not the box).

I would appreciate any advise on some good value deals which anyone knows?

All the best and thanks!

20150923181538_w01u3owfpbx.jpg

IWC boxes do not normally have a metal plate in the box. In my experience, the metal plate is usually only included for limited edition watches to give some details on that particular watch. This appears to be the case in the watch in your photo, even with my poor eyesight I can read it says "REFERENZ 5444 - ONE OF 50", sounds like a limited edition to me. One other point, I see the dial is blue. IWC normally reserve blue dial watches for their limited edition Laureus Sport for Good Foundation watches.

With regard to authenticity, I suggest you contact IWC via their website and enquire whether or not they issued a SfGF watch for reference 5444. HTH.

Regards Rick

The watch in the picture will be hard to find and if so, will most likely command premium pricing. This is the 5444-5 Portuguese Regulateur in Titanium, one of only 50 pieces.

It's even being discussed on the official IWC site (scroll down, there is a pic).

Maybe IWC started doing that with more recent models? My 2003 Portuguese Chronograph did not have such a metal plate, but when I traded up to a non-LE Portuguese Automatic (2010) I also received an upgraded box with a similar metal plate:

20150923181545_xbckqkme1dk.jpg

Sorry for the confusion. I should have mentioned that the 1st picture was just an example and I was not after that specific watch.

The model I was after is a "standard" (not limited) Portugieser. Exactly the one from the photos.

On Chrono24 there is a picture of this watch in a box, and I can't see the metal plate there. I was always under the impression that IWC watches have plates in all the boxes and that this is one of the aspect to check if the watch is not from grey market.

20150923181545_una0zyon1h2.jpg

20150923181549_pco4bcqvvkc.png

20150923181549_mtu3yqj3wet.jpg

20150923181550_cvk3gauza01.jpg

20150923181550_huv2hqkdbc4.jpg

Thanks for clarifying the situation regarding your original photo. With regard to a nameplate in the box, I've bought five IWCs (all from ADs) in the last eight years and none had a plate in the box. From MHe225's post it would appear that IWC are including the plate with certain models only. I suggest you speak to an AD to determine which box would have originally been supplied with a particular watch. Good luck in your search.

Regards Rick