Sign in to follow this  
bombah

Mark XVII or Omega Speedy Sapphire Sandwich

Fellow nutters...

I'm looking to add the Mark XVII, however the Speedy would have to go; would you do it?

My current collection includes a PO 8500, Speedy (Cal. 1863, from JAN14), PAM 005, Tag Heuer 1000 and a Luminox Black Ops. In the process of selling a PO 2500 and a Speedy X-33 1st Gen.

I've had a soft spot for Schaffhausen, and naturally for IWC. I like the simplicity of the Mark XVII, and it hits all the marks in my book...but so does the Speedy.

I know this is the IWC forum, but nonetheless, have at it.

TIA

If it were me, I'd much rather have the Speedy Pro if the price were the same as I feel the value for the movement is a lot better with the Speedy Pro They are different watches though, so it comes down to whether you would rather have a hand winding chronograph, or an automatic pilot watch.

I love this. IWC forum and first three posts rooting for the Omega. Unbiased opinions are a rare and a beautiful thing in watch fora. Cheers, guys! That said, I'd sell the Omega in a heartbeat if we would be talking about the Mark XVI. I'm not so sure about the triple date window in the Mark XVII.

I used to have the 3570.50 Speedmaster. I know it's a true classic, an icon and all that, but somehow I didn't feel the love for it. I tried hard, but I couldn't make myself bond with it, so in the end I let it go. Maybe I'm a little biased against Omega, as I don't really care for anything in their line-up and the brand leaves me a bit cold. The Speedy was the one I thought would tick all the boxes, but alas, it didn't.

I don't think the cal. 1863 gives too much of a leverage for Omega movementwise. If you had a cal. 321 or the new co-axial, it would be different. The way I see it, if you go for the change, you wouldn't take too bad of a hit on the movement and you would gain some with the finish, especially the bracelet – it's superb. You have or at least have had some Omegas. Maybe it would be nice to try an IWC for a change.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I have tons of respect for Speedy, but somehow don't feel the need to own one (at least not at the moment). For a pilot watch been rather considering IWC Mark XVI or 3717-01 chrono.