Sign in to follow this  
Heber

Big pilot accuracy, normal?

The IWC boutique sales rep told me that the big pilot gains on average 10 - 15 seconds per day. This number is similar to what I've read on the internet. So yesterday I decided to put my new 5009 to the test. I noted the time on my computer at 8:30:00, on my watch it was 8:29:23. Today when my computer struck 8:30:00, my watch was at 8:29:25... I was stunned. 2 second gain?!

Is this accuracy normal on a new watch and it's supposed to degrade over time or did I just get lucky? My PR was around 6 days throughout this test.

Not surprising. IWC generally does a good job regulating their watches. I have no experience with that movement though, so not sure how PR fluctuations may affect accuracy.

IWC has had trouble getting consistent time keeping from their super long PR watches. There were many many many pissed off owners when the Big Pilot first showed up - IWC simply couldn't provide them with better than 15 sec/day timekeeping. I haven't heard complaints about that lately, so either people have lowered their expectations or IWC managed to figure it out.

Single barrel movements with 3+ days of PR are prone to significant variation on accuracy during their cycle, the spring is I simply too long to guarantee exact same performance when fully wound vs when running on empty. I've read of many people not being happy with IWC long-PR movements, and don't really get why wouldn't they do the Panerai thing and run them as a double barrel configuration, after all their R&D are shared within Richmond and should be relatively easy to replicate.

Sounds like you've been lucky. My BP will run at about +7 when fully wound and worn daily. In the 4 or 5 day range of the power reserve everything goes to hell and I start getting +20s or worse. In days 1 and 2 things slow back down and the watch stays a few minutes ahead but at a consistent rate, before finally stopping. This is after a full servicing from an IWC trained service center at my local AD. When placed on a measurement device, the watch shows less than 5 seconds deviation in all positions, but in real life the performance isn't great.

Like everyone has said, the 7 day power reserve on a single barrel makes it difficult to achieve great accuracy. Then again, a 46 mm case full of iron also makes it heavy to wear. As with people, some watch relationships are more complicated. The BP and 5000 calibers have a sort of love/hate things going for them.