watchlod

IWC pilot Watch Chrono Vs Omega Planet Ocean Co-axial Chrono

Hi All,

I know that this is an IWC forum but honestly what would you buy between:

IWC pilot watch Chrono IW377704

http://www.iwc.com/it/collezione/pilots/IW3777/

Vs

Omega 600 m Space Ocean Co-Axial Chrono

Orologi OMEGA: Seamaster Planet Ocean 600 M Omega Co-Axial Chronograph 45,5.mm - Acciaio su Acciaio - 232.30.46.51.01.001

Could you help me with good reasons why to prefer one to the other? I would like to buy one of the two soon, but I am still not sure on which one.

Many Thanks, R

1 vote for the 377704. Especially since I just bought one myself. I was actually tossing up between the IWC and the Breitling Transocean. In the end the IWC won out because it was really the watch that I wanted. I have had Breitlings and Omegas in the past and have to say that, if you have not had an IWC before, I highly recommend getting one. You won't be disappointed.

I highly recommend trying them both on and seeing which is a better fit or which appeals to you more. The IWC pilots bracelet is very comfortable and link removal is very easy with the tools provided. I have a 7.5" wrist and like the 43mm size of the IWC. I went from a Breitling Avenger Skyland which was too big for me at 45mm. The Omega is a very big watch.

In terms of movement, I think that the Co-axial movement is better (someone else might be better informed on this than me) however when are you going to notice a difference in movement?

Hi Raffaello,

I've already shared my opinion / preference for the IWC vice the PO chrono on the other sub-forum. As you probably already know, you are going to get more biased views toward omega there, and will likely get slightly IWC biased views here. I originally posted on the omega forum to try and balance out your responses. This sub-forum also gets less traffic so there will be more posts on the other one.

But I did want to additionally say that in my small experience with both the 7750 (IWC) and 2500 coaxial (PO) movements, my PO was more accurate "out of the box" at -1-2s/day. I assume that the 8500 movement in the new POs would be similar in accuracy based on other owners comments.

The 7750 is a great & durable movement too though, and eta movements (and price associations) take an easy bashing when comparing an eta powered watch to one of a sub-forum's favorites, such as the PO. I would keep that in mind when cyphering posts on the omega forum. (And I am also a big fan of the PO).

Still, movement aside. I like IWC better. It's also less out there. Not that POs are routinely common because outside of WUS, they are not...but I have only seen one other IWC pilot in the 'wild' (a big pilot) but many more instances of the PO. This may not matter to you, but it's a factor for me.

Both are well made watches. And the differences (outside of style and size) are frankly more nitpicking and personal preference.

Did you get a chance to try either on yet?

Yes I had chance to try them both and I truly like IWC pilot Chrono 3777 (metal bracelet), the only thing that a little disappointed me is that As far as I understood it has a 7750 ETA calibre assembled/modified by ETA according to IWC standards and specifications. I was quite surprised when getting into a Mont Blanc Boutique, I realized that they have in their collection watches also with ETA 7750 movements modified according to Mont Blanc specifications.(which they rename Montblanc 4810/501) .which are sold for £3,200-3,800 against the Pilot Chrono retail price of £5,500 :(. I can definitely believe that montblanc standards are not as high as IWC, but.. I really started wondering if IWC Pilot Chrono worth its price and value, and its calibre too, or I could find pretty much find the same calibre under the hoods of quite cheper watches? Is just the history and the prestige of the brand that justify the higher price or the quality too?

I like both IWC and Omega, and currently own a Mark XVI that houses an ETA 2892-A2 movement and a Speedmaster Pro. I can tell you that whatever the IWC spec requires that is different from the base 7750 movement, it is not worth the extra amount you have to pay over another watch with a 7750 movement by itself. If movement is important to you, I would suggest that you take the Omega 9300 instead, which at the very least, you can actually see the movement all the time and it is a beautiful thing to look at. Besides, how can you objectively tell that one modification to the 7750 is better than the other? With proper adjustment, any 7750 and the 9300 can be just as accurate and precise as the other.

The extra you pay for the 3777 is partly toward the brand and its history, and partly toward the case and the bracelet. IWC is one of a few brands that manufacture cases themselves. Their cases are truly a work of art. Taking the movement aside and judging the watch on its own right, you cannot say that it is over-valued. 9300 is quite a bit more expensive than the 3777, and their case and bracelet quality isn't better than that of the IWC. I read the responses at the Omega forum and found some of them quite a bit bias toward the Omega, not surprisingly. In this case, I would say, go with your heart and get the one that makes you tick.

I also think the pilot chrono is more versatile as it looks better than the chunky 9300 when you wear business/semi-formal attire.

Good luck with the decision.

Well if you are a 'in-house movement guy' which is what it sounds like, then perhaps any ETA models are not going to be your cup of tea.

The high grade 7750 is used by many brands because it is a very robust and quality movement. Some in-house movements lack the accuracy of ETAs, so I wouldn't so quickly discount it as a movement. However, if that is holding you back on the purchase, then go with a different watch - you should never be ho-hum about a watch purchase no matter what your requirements / motivations are (IMHO).

In the end, all main brand, luxury watches are overpriced though. (It's a silly thing we do to spend this kind of money on watches).

Any wrist shots of the watches in question from the boutiques you visited?

Thank you guys, I am actually not a’in-house’ guy, but as it would be my real first ‘big’ watch I was a bit concern to do the ‘right’ thing… maybe inexperience maybe prudence.. (?) none of the mont blanc catch really my attwention and never seen somebody wearing them… the real thing is that IWC pilot chrono is the watch I probably like the most, by heart, however searching very good alternative options I have really appreciated some Omega and a couple of Tag.. I will go in a shop again to compare them all and then I will do my choice.. J

Regarding case and bracelet quality IWC is hard to beat but have a way more than proud retail price... I like the PO 9300 a lot too but could never swallow the case thickness and weight. Remember: you try the watch on for a few minutes and wear min. 16 hours a day. Unfortunately no steel Aquatimer with manufacture caliber - yet. Geneva fair is not that far away, and though the newest AT (not my cup of tea...) appeared in 2014 you never know...

I'm the proud owner of the IWC AT Chrono Cousteau Edition 2010 ref. 376706 and enjoy a lot that a watch of this size (case 43.5 bezel 45.5, height 15.4) looks nice on my 6.75" wrist. (Mainly because of the clever lug shape.)

If you are a frequent traveller you might like the clever time zone change on the Omega but you pay the price every time when adjusting the date at the end of short months.

I'm happy with the more traditional 30 minutes counter of the 7750 as I use very frequently the chronograph for short time intervals and the minute counter of the AT is one of the best visible out there. I'm also very happy (as a person with somewhat aging eyes) that I can easily time in complete darkness with the help of the AT bezel with full lume of the first 15 minutes. If you plan to time longer time intervals than the counter of the Omega fits the bill better. If you plan to use aftermarket straps than you are better served with the Omega while if you like the fantastice quick exchange strap system of the IWC than that is you watch.

Maybe these add some points to consider when choosing.

I think the single most determining factor in choosing between these two has to be the look and size. The PO Chrono, which I've owned, is a BIG watch. Not so much because of the diameter which, although imposing, is still manageable. It is a VERY thick watch, which makes it a very sporty watch. I still wore it with suit and tie at the office, as this is a modern look that is still acceptable, but the watch as a very strong sporty penchant because of its sheer size and bulk. The IWC, is both smaller in diameter and much, much thinner. That's not counting just how different they look, which is a matter of personal taste. I like them both, but they looks so different as to not be even remotely comparable in my book. So which one do you like the most?

The list of pros and cons could be endless, but in the end, you gotta love what you will choose...

Thanks Guys.. yes.. my preference is still for the Pilot, However I did a bit of search and found out that the Pilot Caliber number 79320 and not standard 7750. Do you know if 79320 is the version of 7750 required by IWC to ETA? I am start getting a bit lost with movements now..