Sign in to follow this  
thMer2

Can't decide - Mark XVI or Pilot's Chrono 3717 ?

Hi to all. I love both of these watches and with the introduction (and higher prices and 3-date window) of the Mark XVI and 3777 Pilot's Chrono update, I'm thinking maybe I should I act and join the IWC watch owners association!

I really like flieger watches and the Mark XVI is a great example of a classic, moderately sized watch. My wrists are 6.75" so 39mm is a good fit for an old fart, 56 year old.

Then I discovered the 3717 Pilot's Chrono. Despite the current thread about the fellow who's having problems with the stopwatch function on his watch, I know this is a much appreciated IWC model. I like the day function, in addition to the date, but suspect I would use the chronograph/stopwatch only rarely (my 100 yard dash times have increased with age).

For those who know and like both, which do you prefer and why?

Thanks!

John

I have just bought the IWC XVI on strap. I had to make the same decision and decided that I couldn't justify the additional expense of the Chronograph. It is also a larger and thicker watch than the XVI and makes it less practical for day to day office wear.

39mm is a reasonable size for a watch and would have been considered a large watch in the 1960s. The original Pilot was even smaller

The Chrono it was for me. IWC is famous for their Chronographs and I just liked the look of it a lot more. It is quite a thick watch so you'll want to try it on before you buy. I bought online from an AD and was surprised how tick it was. But it doesn't bother me one bit.

Here's mine when she was new before the scratches.

IMG-0349.jpg

I've since sold my XVI for the 5001, but if I were to do it again it'd be the XVI. It's a classic. I bet there will be a nice demand for them in the years to come if IWC were to continue on it's current Pilot design path. From a design POV the chrono is also quite nice. Functionally, I think it's difficult to justify. I rarely even use the date correctly with the number of watches on daily rotation, let alone a stop watch/timing function. I appreciate the large sweep seconds more. Whatever you choose, were it proudly!

Black dial XVI... I miss mine

I would wait to purchase though... Prices seem inflated.

It used to be common to see an XVI sell for around $2,000 to $2,500. Now they are way above $3k.... Just too much now for what you get (movement wise... Lightly modified 2892).

Also, when ready to purchase, buy with bracelet. You can always get the strap but a bracelet is mighty expensive on its own.

Thanks for the all the input. A number of people have mentioned that I should buy the watch (XVI or 3717) with the bracelet -- that it's very comfortable and easy to sell later, if necessary. I believe you all (!) but it is incredible really that a $1,400 option could be both a good deal and that good! Please elaborate -- thanks.

John

They keep going up because IWC has raised msrp quite a bit this year. My pilot chrono could be sold for $1k more than what I paid at an AD a year ago.

As for your question, get the chrono. It really looks the part, I love mine. The size is perfect. Yes, it is thick compared to a dress watch (but I still can wear it under dress shirts), but a pilot watch isn't supposed to be a dress watch. If that is what you are after, the mark XVI will look silly because it isn't a dress watch- get a JLC master control.

It's not a better deal to buy the bracelet on the watch. With my AD, it was actually cheaper to buy on strap and then add the bracelet. Not much, but a little bit.

It's definitely not a better deal, if you weren't planning to buy the bracelet at all. :)

Good luck with your choice. They are very different in size. Try them on and see which one fits you better. I'm guessing it will be the Mark XVI.

I love the Pilot Chrono. My earlier Spitfire Chrono (ref 3706) has given me excellent service. I have a Mark XVI Spitfire as well, which is also an excellent watch. I personally prefer the Chrono and would be inclined to the 3717. In fact, now that the new Spitfire Chrono is out, I might look for a 3717 Spitfire, and then, in due course, a 3878, to fill out my Spitfire collection.