Sign in to follow this  
gshock

Two submariners?

Hi all,

I've been searching for a new watch for the last couple of months.

I want a two tone. I do not own a TT watch yet and i find them very attractive.

I've narrowed it down to 2 watches, a datejust 16233 champagne dial or a submariner 16613 blue dial.

At the moment i own a submariner 114060 and an Omega speedmaster. Both watches I wish to keep, since I love em.

I think I prefer the 16613 a bit over the datejust since the submariner is my favorite Rolex model.

But then i think, do i really need 2 submariners?

What would you do, if you had a 2 piece collection like mine and wanted to add a new watch, TT datejust or TT submariner?

20150925175233_ibxz5xaep02.jpg

Taking into account that TT is not my thing, given your existing collection, I would add something different from the other two. In your case, the TT DateJust (in my case, something like that that isn't TT). Frankly, although the TT sub is stunning, there's something incongruent about such a jewellery-like tool watch. Hence I would recommend the DJ instead.

Tough one, the bluesy is different enough to from your sub C (color, Cyclops etc) yet it is another sub. I would go for the DJ. It gives you a different reference in your collection, and a model that is iconic and carries a lot of important history of Rolex. If you don't think you would wear it though, then get the sub. In any event get the one YOU love. No wrong answer here. Let us know and post some pics!

I think the novelty of two submarines will quickly fade even though one is TT and the other SS. I'd say your options are A) buy the TT datejust B) sell the SS sub to buy the TT sub or C) keep your current collection and look for another watch.

My first Rolex was a TT Datejust. About 12 years after buying that one, I'd convinced myself that the next one would be the TT Sub like you're looking at. However, the moment I walked into a dealer and tried it on and then a SS Sub, I immediately knew that the only TT Rolex I like is that Datejust. I bought the SS Sub (and later, a SS GMT II).

Not for nuthin', the champagne dial may become harder to read as you get older. I had Rolex change it to the silver dial with gold stick markers when it was serviced back in 2000.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I have a love affair with Subs and SDs. I have 14 Subs and 5 SDs (including the DSSD in this count). I don't have a TT Sub, but I would love to get one with a Serti dial. Of course I would get the TT Sub over the DJ......but typically a DJ does nothing for me.