Sign in to follow this  
Tttale

What's Your Rolex Roadmap?

I'm just curious if you guys have your Rolex Roadmap. Would love to know what it is.

Mine is (notice that I do not have cliche like Daytona or Sub in the bunch...just don't like the idea of seeing it on so many wrists...and most of them being so fake that it cheapens the models for me):

1. Rolex Explorer 2 42mm Polar Orange Hand (ref:216570) [done].

Loved it as you can only love your first luxury timepiece that you plopped down your hard-earned money for.

2. Rolex GMT Blk/Blu (Batman) [done].

Get tons of compliment. Haven't seen one on someone else yet.

2.5 Rolex Cellini Prince.

This number because I might via my course to #3 if I come across the right one/right price/right situation (being my financial state at the time). The closest thing you'll ever get to a Rolex with traditional watchmaking decoration like a

“Clou de Paris”

on the face and guilloche

“rayon flammé de la gloire” on the

movement in see through caseback! The only non-GMT of the bunch and that's saying a lot from someone who only considers GMT, Worldtimer, and Worldtime at this point in his life.

3. Rolex SkyDweller White Gold

Don't like yellow gold watch. Too blingy for me. White Gold/Platnium are more subtle. I don't need to shout to the world I have a gold watch. Anyway, the people whose opinion matter to me (fellow watch aficionados) when it comes to my wrist wear will know and appreciate it. To be fair, at this price I might be tempted to go ALS or Patek if I have to choose one at that time.

Not trying to burst your bubble but explorer and gmt master are quite often replicated. Around here, gmt master is more popular especially among new rolex buyer because they see the PCL and next gmt function as a added bonus vs 200m additonal depth rating on a standard sub. I never been bother by the popularity or lack there of, as long as i enjoy the watch I will buy.

Anyway, i started out with a sub date then a sub ND and milgauss.

Next up? stell Daytona in white dial or IWC Big Pilot.

I like the idea that a Daytona or Sub is cliché, but somehow other models are not. It's Rolex, it is one of the most recognized brand names in the world, and far and away the most recognized luxury watch. Yes, there are a boatload of Subs out there (I think you'll find that Daytonas are tremendously less common, they're a watch nerd favorite, but you couldn't give one away twenty years ago, and there are still stores out there today that pretend to have waiting lists and don't put their steels in the case, not to mention a lot of people don't like crossing into the fifth digit for an all steel watch, and your average Rolex customer -hard as it is for us to believe- doesn't know what the word "comnplication" means), but cliché and iconic are different things. If I wanted a watch I was confident no one else had, I'd steer clear of Rolex. I just find that wearing a watch because it's what others have and not wearing a watch because it's what others have are two sides of the same coin. Wear what you like.

Not trying to criticize your reasons, I actually think you have a fantastic list there that would make for a very nice and fairly rounded collection, just giving my two cents.

My Rolex "collection" is currently just my Milgauss and Hulk. These will not be my last Rolexes by any means, Lord willing. I try not to plan my collection too much honestly, but if I had to say one watch that I really have my sights set on right now, it would be either a platinum Daytona or white gold Sub / GMT. I'm a sucker for the weight, and feel like any of these would have good value retention; just hard to pull the trigger on something at that price. I'd also like to have a nice dressier strap watch at some point, possibly a Prince, but this is one of the few areas it's hard for me not to stray from my Rolex fetish and start looking at some of the other excellent options out there.

My roadmap was to ultimately buy what I liked, and not worry about what other are already wearing or any purported stereotypes.

Submariner 14060M - Done.

GMT Coke - 16710 - Done.

Explorer 39mm - Done.

Collection - Complete.

Guess I'm a cliche... ss Daytona and Sub for me. Oh well. Will you be selling your BLNR once it becomes more common? It appears to be the most frequent "incoming" Rolex watch, and I'm seeing them more regularly at ADs. Great watch indeed, but hardly "rare".

I was really intrigued by these crazy french expressions "Clou de Paris" or "Rayon flammé de la gloire" in your post so i went to Rolex.com.

Man, i'm a big fan of the Rolex prince ! Beautiful watch.

EDIT:

I didn't know but "Clou de Paris" is the name of a decorative motif looking like this:

20150925175424_ummxb3umio1.jpg

fascinating...

Yep. It's definitely the most fascinating Rolex for me because all its key traits are not what modern Rolex are known for. It's the only current Rolex models (that I'm aware of) with stunningly decorated movement bridge. And I'm the biggest sucker for transparent case-back and well-decorated movement. In fact, I'm so intrigued by the Rolex Prince that I wrote a quick piece about it here:

Demo: Blog - Blakbook

20150925175426_uof3jqefnrj.JPG

Yes it looks fascinating, i like the yellow gold version but for that style and price range, i'd rather buy a Grande Reverso calendar, triple calendar with moonphase.

I prefer the Rolex design though. As always.

Wow. A JLC. That's one of my all-time watch brands. And a Reverso at that. I can't never argue against a JLC. The huge conundrum is that there are are so many great choices at the 10k price range. It's hard to go wrong. Since I'm partial to worldtime/GMT, I would go for JLC Grand Reverso GMT. However, I actually handled the Rolex Prince in person and it's seriously solid stuff. It's like you get an elegant Art Deco time-piece with in a famed tank-like Rolex case. I would even argue that the Prince's movement decoration is nicer than the JLC in the 10k class range. Sadly, I'm not at a position to make this move yet...so it's all just speculation...