Sign in to follow this  
2cute

Rolex Explorer 39mm or Sub for 1st rolex.

Hello,

I was looking for some advice on which Rolex to buy for my 1st introduction to the brand. I have tried them both and have to say I am completely undecided.

My current watches are a Tag Heuer Aquaracer ceramic, Longines Master Chrono, Omega Speedmaster Mark II vintage and a Bell and Ross Br123 Heritage.

I have an Explorer, but the 36mm version. I wear this one most of the time. It wears light but does not look small.

I also have the SubC and really enjoy it. And it wears very differently than the polite Explorer, yet it has the same size face when you exclude the bezel.

I find this is a great combination.

Most here I believe will vote for the Sub. While I do like the look of the Sub, there's something about the Explorer that I find truly charming. I'm a newbie to all things Rolex, but even with my limited experience with the brand, I appreciate the understated charm of the Explorer. More experienced fans, I hope, will chime in and talk about this watch.

I'm a big fan of watches that fly under the radar, so I think the Explorer offers a little bit of bling with a dash of subtlety. I think it rivals the Sub in its versatility. As a history buff, I love the fact that it's part of a line of watches that can be traced to the model that accompanied the first explorers to scale the peaks of Mt. Everest. I'm a sucker for that kind of marketing, haha.

When I bought my Rolex it was a huge step up price-wise from anything I ever bought. My attitude was it may be the last really nice watch I can ever afford, so buy the one you love the most. Both models you identify are awesome, but for me the BLNR elevated above. So I saved a little more and bought that. 1 1\2 years later it is still my last watch purchase and am thankful I did not settle for something less. If those are the only 2 SS Rolex in your consideration set buy the one you love most.