Sign in to follow this  
uBeast

Are Rolex�s Really This Fragile (GMT Master)/ Is A Warranty Worth The paper It�s Written On?

Are Rolexs really this Fragile (GMT Master)/ is a warranty worth the paper its written on

Firstly let me start by saying hello. I am a long time viewer of the site but have never got round to posting and commenting.

Unfortunately my first question here comes from a rather disappointing set of circumstances.

After several years of procrastination about what Rolex to upgrade too (I currently have a Omega Seamaster) I decided that the GMT Master 2 was the one for me. Its a good everyday watch which ticked all the boxes.

A few months after purchasing the watch I noticed that it had stopped overnight whilst on the side. Following this I made contact with the company I purchased the watch from who are a very well-known online and internet company. They suggested I return the watch for them to look over it, which I thought was an acceptable solution as it came with a 1 year warranty.

I was then shocked when the company emailed and said the hairspring and balance have been corrected and adjusted. This has cost £115.00. If you can call me and I will take payment over the phone for the £115.00. A phone call later and after being described as a layman when it comes to watches I received the images below saying that the dent had caused all the issue with the watch and that the only way to guarantee it would continue working was a full Rolex service at £380 plus VAT. Not to mention the watch has been returned and is now not even holding charge on my wrist (which was not happening before) and from there supposedly Rolex accredited watchmaker having left dirt under the screen.

I am now left with a watch that has dirt under the screen and will not hold charge with the dealer saying the only solution they will offer is a full service. They will not even remove the dirt left there.

My main question from this post is would you expect a watch of Rolexs pedigree to sustain damage from what in my opinion is such a minor knock. As I mentioned previously I have had an Omega Seamaster for 8 years which has taken too many knocks to mention and has never missed a beat.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Sorry to hear about this. I don't think anyone will attack you though. Any watch can be a lemon or have certain issues, the biggest problem here is the way the company you bought it from is treating you. A 1 year warranty should definitely cover this.

I also don't think that mark on the lug caused your whole watch to fail.

What company did you purchase it from?

You saved some money and bought from a third party without a Rolex warranty. This is the risk you take by doing that. It's unfortunate that when you did this, you apparently didn't understand that grey market warranties are essentially non-warranties.

Rolexes are well-made and reliable, but 1) occasional problems are going to happen no matter how well-made a brand's watches are, and 2) because you got it through a GM dealer, you have no idea what happened to that watch before you received it.

I personally think that it's completely worth it to save money and buy GM watches, but you don't get to complain when something like this happens -- the possibility of exactly this is what saves you money in the first place.

Apparently, you purchased a pre-owned timepiece from an internet dealer. This dealer offered a one year warranty. The watch failed (which sometimes happens), you're trying to exercise the warranty and the dealer alleges the failure was due to what appears to be a hard knock on the case and that would not be covered by any warranty. You paid for an adjustment and now the watch is returned in a condition that indicates a degree of sloppiness insofar as there is dirt under the crystal and the mainspring seems not to be holding a charge.

None of this is a Rolex issue. Rolex watches need servicing at times and although there are stories here on the forum of a Rolex keeping time for 10+ years without a problem, there are other stories of watches that just fail after a period of time and need work. And none of that counts for wear and tear that sometimes happens during the wearing of a watch.

From my point of view, your issues isn't with the company that made the watch, but rather the company that sold you the watch and then serviced it. That picture of a dent may or may not have caused the hairspring/balance failure...if it occurred on your 'watch' then I might side with the diagnosis, but you may go to your grave insisting that the watch should have, by reputation, been able to withstand the knock.

I understand your displeasure having purchased for a lot of money a watch with a storied reputation and having this outcome. And I'm not excusing the apparently failures of dirt under the crystal and now a power reserve issue. But a lack of full technical expertise to properly analyze the issue and lay blame is likely to end up as an 'I say...you say' stand off that might only be able to be resolved with a full service from an accredited repair facility that would make the watch conform to specifications with a warranty that is accountable. Absent that, perhaps a request to return the watch for a refund might be your best course of action. Good luck.

This is why we always advise 'buy the seller', as unfortunate incidents like this can often lead

to the owner being left feeling 'short changed'.

The 'fault' lies with the internet seller who appears to have 'serviced' (and I use this term loosely) the watch.

This is one of the risks you take when you purchase grey market.

20150925180314_efyejephurh.gif

As the old saying goes, 'you pays your money.....'

This, exactly. Sorry it happened, but this is exactly why I buy my watches new (unless I'm looking for vintage, and even then a trusted AD isn't a bad place to look). Spend the extra money. 5-10% is well worth it to avoid things like this. A new Rolex comes out of the box with a ten year warranty, and they have the best service department of any watchmaker I've seen.

Who's knows what this so called company did to the watch before and after your purchase. I always make larger purchases through an AD to avoid these types problems. I guess gm can work out sometimes, but now you gotta use the money you saved to have it serviced. That's life for ya. Best of luck.