Sign in to follow this  
rustyu

A Rolex dilemma

I have a few Omega watches (see signature below) and a long time I have been looking to buy a Rolex, but here´s the dilemma. Only few models "speaks" to me and they are DJ II Blue dial and 16710 GMT Master II and I currently have a Omega AT Skyfall which is quite similar to DJ II and Seamaster GMT 50th which is quite similar to GMT Master II.

If I buy a Rolex, some Omega is not going to get so much wrist time and I really hate that. One possibility is to sell one Omega and replace it with a Rolex, or I have to find one Rolex which speaks to me and is not so similar with my current Omegas.

What would you do? Oh, and my budget for a Rolex (New or mint) is about $7000-8000.

I recently had to sell a Speedy Pro and my 300mc for a Daytona. I sold the speedy because I had the feeling it's too similar to the D - which it isn't and I should have kept it. The 300mc I sold solely for the money - and also miss it dearly. So if you can avoid it: don't sell. If you need to for the money: sell the Omega which gets the least amount of wrist time now. Both the DJ II and the GMT Master II are insanely nice watches and you'll see that they're clearly a notch above anything Omega has to offer.

You may find that the Rolex is very different than the Omegas you own. Have you considered a Sub? Maybe a Hulk?

You should be able to find a LNIB one in the sales section within your budget.

If you do decide to sell 1 or both to fund a Rolex make sure it really sings to you or you'll regret it as others including myself can a test.

I can afford one, without flipping one, at least if I wait my christmas bonus. Hulk and black sub don´t speak to my, but Kermit somewhat. GMT master Coke or Pepsi might still be THE one - and that GMT function is quite useful to me.

Sales corner here is problematic (most sellers are from Northern America) due tax and VAT, if I buy outside European union, VAT is 24% and Euro is week now. So I have to find it within EU.

I would say skip the DJ and go with the GMTII (whether Pepsi/Coke or a new BLNR, all are beautiful), and then decide whether the Seamaster GMT stays or goes. That way you don't have to decide until after you get over your honeymoon period with the Rolex. That being said, I'd be surprised if you weren't right in that the Omega GMT would get a lot less wrist time if you added a second GMT (and a Rolex no less).

Indeed!

they are so different in style, and can not be compared together.

I am not saying Omega is inferior than Rolex in term of technology.

I actually own one 300M Seamaster for 8 years and love it so much,

but direction of Omega recently is a bit vague.

It try too hard to be up market, while lacking the ground support from buyer.

Luxury and privilege is something given, not taken.