Sign in to follow this  
Buee1

Future Value of the GMT Master 16700....

I'm thinking of selling my 16700 in the very near future. I bought it new back in 1995 for around $2500. I may buy the current Submariner or GMT Master.

What is Worth now and in 5-10 years? Don't want to regret selling it too soon. Or should I just keep it?

20150925180444_4lnbnzzbibp.jpg

I'll give you 2500 for it! Lol.

I think these will continue to appreciate, supply and demand.

Volume sold may be keeping prices lower than you'd think we're relevant now.

Depends on circumstances you're in whether you sell now or later. Do you really want a new Sub or not?

Unless you've been keeping it in a safe, effectively never worn, then your watch will not really appreciate in value (unless it's extremely rare). By wearing it, you add wear and tear, as well as bringing the date for maintenance on the movement forward, resulting in depreciation.

That said, there's no way to know what it will be worth in the future, as there are too many factors involved. It's not exactly unique or not easily available, meaning that there's plenty of competition out there, and if there's increasing wear and tear on it from it being worn constantly (or even as part of a rotation) that will continue to detract value.

The only folks really making money off buying watches to resell at a later date for profit are those who are buying literally dozens of high-end luxury watches that, as a result, rarely if ever actually appear out on the market. These folks then wait several years to raise the demand and these are then sold at auction, often at multiples of the original prices. Again, function of supply and demand.

I'd keep it and wear it. Save up for the others and add, then rotating them. Anything that doesn't stay in the rotation, sell.

All the information you have given is correct for many brands, but Rolex sports models have historically been a bit resistant to what you describe. The OP paid $2,500 which should be around $3,925 based on inflation. In reasonable condition these sell for around $5,000 effectively and decisively beating the rate of inflation........and this is with the OP paying retail price. It is true that the OP will not likely retire off his earnings when he sells his 16700, but IMHO he should likely make a modest return on his used and worn watch. How much will his return increase in the future?? It has been my experience that it will increase in value. The 16600 that I sold for a $2,000 profit after four years is outside of the bell on the curve, but a Pepsi GMT is a hot item at the moment IMHO. I think demand will only increase on these in the future.

JMHO