Sign in to follow this  
Heber

Which Rolex should I go for?

I somehow skipped through Rolex on my first entrance to the world of watches, and went directly for a high end dress watch.

Now that few months have passed, I feel like my next purchase (or the one after that) will most definitely be a Rolex.

I need a watch that is durable, and is suited for casual dressing + everyday lives.

I personally don't like popular watches for some reason - they don't feel unique enough, and I want something different on my wrist. This does not mean I enjoy watches that are like REALLY minor and stuff; it's just that I find watches that do not get its photos uploaded on the forums often more interesting.

Well, I guess as long as it is a Rolex it will inevitably be something that lots of people wear (considering their humongous production volumes),

but to start off I eliminated

- Submariner(too common),

- Yacht Master (a no no design),

- Daytona (I'm going for a Everose Gold Daytona in the future, so I need a durable SS one for now),

- Sky Dweller (again a no no design),

- GMT Master (I don't need GMT complication, nor the design is speaking to me),

- Cellini (I love Cellini lines the most from Rolex, but I don't need more dress watches for now, so will consider buying one much later) and finally

- Deep Sea (too thick)

from my list.

And Datejust, I dunno... it's not bad but I moved it to the bottom of my list for now because they are flagship models and are also very common.

I'm currently trying to decide between three models:

Milgauss white dial,

Explorer I 214270, and

Sea Dweller 4000.

20150925180524_khxxqsa1q0q.jpg

Pro:

- Not that common compared to other models, and is pretty unique

- The idea of anti-magnetic thing is pretty cool.

- Is very simple in dial design, which fits my taste just right! I would say design satisfies me about 80%. Some points taken off, read below

Con:

- The thunder shaped second hands (although interesting), along with the orange colored indexes, kind of make it look like a children's toy watch.

- The overall atmosphere is very bright and playful; feels like I can wear it with jeans, but not with suits. I may be wrong on this.

- Recently heard cheaper Omega models have watches that are even more magnetic-proof than Milgauss (that they are 1500). What?

20150925180525_bbudcxnomvy.jpg

Pro:

- Design is just amazing! I would give it a 95%.

- Very elegant and simple, black and white so can also be used for dressy occasions, and also for casual wear.

- It has a design so simple that virtually I will probably never get tired of it.

- The new explorer's movement is apparently really good in time keeping.

Con:

- It's a common/popular model, although I think I heard it's not as popular as Submariner and Datejust. Again, common stuff are a con for me.

- It is a very entry model for Rolex. While the pricing is a pro, how other people look at it is a bit con. This does not bother me much though.

20150925180527_esakh2ja0xu.JPG

Pro:

- Maybe not as rare as Milgauss but is pretty uncommon, especially compared to Submariner. Some people even don't know what Sea Dweller or Deep Sea is; they think they are all just Submariners.

- More sporty and durable all around compared to Submariner, and hence compared to the other two above as well (mostly the water resistance)

- Lume is just beautiful.

Con:

- Not sure about the exact measurement, but is a bit thicker than a Submariner. Maybe not suitable for dressy wear, since it's a diver watch.

- Design wise, I would give this a 85%. But since the pricing is highest over the other two, I dunno if it's worth the price.

I hoped that people here could recommend me a more diverse range of suggestions and advices.

Cheers and wish everyone a nice day. :)

Now that few months have passed, I feel like my next purchase (or the one after that) will most definitely be a Rolex.

I need a watch that is durable, and is suited for casual dressing + everyday lives.

Rolex definitely fits in this category as well as Panerai and some others.

I personally don't like popular watches for some reason - they don't feel unique enough, and I want something different on my wrist. This does not mean I enjoy watches that are like REALLY minor and stuff; it's just that I find watches that do not get its photos uploaded on the forums often more interesting.

Rolex are popular for many reasons BUT for the right ones. Porsche, BMW and Mercedes motor cars are also popular vehicles in the same way as Rolex wrist watches. Rolex are unique as they use 904L highest quality stainless steel available whereby most others use 316L. They are one of the few watch houses with their own in-house movements in every model; tried and tested for over 50 years; modified slightly over that time period! They retain their value the most as well as Patek Philippe with minimum depreciation. The Rolex Oyster, Submariner/Sea-Dwellers, GMTs are as revolutionary to horology as a Porsche 911 is to motor vehicle manufacturing. The performance and durability being superb.

Well, I guess as long as it is a Rolex it will inevitably be something that lots of people wear (considering their humongous production volumes),

but to start off I eliminated

- Submariner(too common), -

for good reason that goes back to The Late 50s! You cannot go wrong with one on your wrist even though not my first choice.

- Yacht Master (a no no design)

Subtle watch and very classy looking for what it is; modest and an understatement by comparison!

- Daytona (I'm going for a Everose Gold Daytona in the future, so I need a durable SS one for now),

- Excellent classic COSC Chronometer Chronograph albeit not for me.

- Sky Dweller (again a no no design),

This is a unique watch I have not seen with other model of rolex like the Yatchmaster II

- GMT Master (I don't need GMT complication, nor the design is speaking to me)

It is not complicated, it is rather simple and the new ones allow the wearer by pulling the crown to one stop to just change the hour hand backwards or forwards as he or she travels through timezones! The seconds and minute hand remain where they were unhacked!

- Cellini (I love Cellini lines the most from Rolex, but I don't need more dress watches for now, so will consider buying one much later) and finally

Rolex dress watch and different from the main models

- Deep Sea (too thick) from my list.

for good reason as it is a 3900 meter/12,800 feet water resistant watch; unrivalled for engineering. The standard Sea Dweller 1,220 meter/4,000 feet is a Submariner to a greater depth

And Datejust, I dunno... it's not bad but I moved it to the bottom of my list for now because they are flagship models and are also very common

Benchmark iconic model that put Rolex to where they are today. What this model did for Rolex is compared with the 3 series model for BMW!

I'm currently trying to decide between three models:

Milgauss white dial

consider the Black dial with some orange markings on the dial with green tint crystal GV model amazing

Explorer I 214270

Also consider the new 42mm Explorer II

Polar or the

classic black dial

and

Sea Dweller 4000 Super watch and cannot go wrong. It is 40mm and I chose the Sea-Dweller that is about 43mm better for my 8.25 inch wrist

Continue to do your homework and research as I sense you will find the right model for you. When you "pull the trigger" to get one with all the boxes, cards, tags etc. - you will wonder why you did not buy one some time ago! Rolex is not my favorite or even the best Swiss watchhouse watch in my collection as I just have the DSSD and Yatchmaster platinum dial and bezel left in my collection BUT they are simply brilliant and can never ever not having one. Viva Rolex !

I wanted a different Rolex for my last purchase and I went for this

20150925180541_pkj14zutpor.jpg

A different look look to my sports models and very comfortable on the wrist, plus super accurate , still within 30 seconds over 2 months!!

Virtually every Rolex looks better in person, and I agree with JSI that the Milgauss looks much better in the flesh (metal?) than in pictures. I've owned the GV for several years, and there are still times when I'll look down when wearing it and think how impressive it looks. You're right that Omega has made some more anti-magnetic watches, but considering how little anyone is going to need this feature to begin with, and how superior the Milgauss is in overall quality to the AT, I don't really care that much. It's also fairly easy to dress up, especially with the polished center link. I almost bought the white instead, and I don't think you'd be disappointed.

The Explorer I is one of my favorites in the line. There's not a bad thing to say about it. As for your concern on other people's opinions, firstly I'd say who cares, secondly I'd point out that Rolex's "entry level" still has all the features of any other Rolex. What I mean is that it's only entry level in price point. It's not like Tag or Omega where "entry level" has an inferior movement, or lower build quality, etc. The Explorer I has the same movement as the solid gold Cellini Time that costs 3x as much. There is nothing inferior about the watch, it's simply more affordable because it has fewer complications. Even owning the very similar Milgauss, I still consider buying an Explorer I almost every time I see one. It's an exquisite watch.

The Seadweller... Eh. Don't get me wrong. I love the watch. But in your case you're basically going to spend $2000 extra to get a Submariner that doesn't say Submariner on it. It's a waste of money. I used to feel the same way about the Submariner. Then I bought one, and discovered that it is one of the best built and most comfortable watches I've ever experienced and, even in bright green, incredibly versatile. I'm at work today in browns slacks and vest over a maroon shirt, with an offensively green watch on my wrist and it looks fantastic. If you want a watch not many people have, get the ND for less money, not the Seadweller for more.

Also, if you are going to spend a bit more, get the steel Daytona. The steel and the rose gold strap really look like different watches, and if you do decide you can't do it, sell the steel to fund the rose gold and get a different steel watch. Like an Explorer I, or a Sub ND.

I'd go Explorer I, white Milgauss, Sub ND. In that order.

Woah, I normally thought Explorer II, while worthwhile to look at, isn't going to be on my list. But looking at that photo, it's actually amazing! The design once again reminds me of a polar bear. The only drawback for me is the bezel design and that red arrow (gmt complication I'm assuming). I never found the GMT complication necessary for me nor found it aesthetically pleasing. But since I do go back and forth two countries often, I may consider buying one. Hmmm,,,,

and everyone else, thanks for all your insights.

I'm currently leaned a little more towards Explorer I, then a Milgauss/Explorer II, then a Sea Dweller.

For a regular casual wear watch that's not too common I'd go with the explorer I or the ss daytona. Explorer + durable, low key, casual, - I can't think of any. Daytona + sporty, not too common, durable - may be confused with a sub which are really common - you already plan to buy one in gold. If you're at an ivy league or high end school I'd go with the daytona, otherwise the explorer. Cheers

Explorer 1 bro...

20150925180551_5bg4v32pagz.jpg

not my pic but i like it..

20150925180553_q5mrhilxwf3.jpg

it is definitely not

20150925180554_2pfn4yf1o15.jpg

if you want to be different look for a nice 1016. good luck with your purchase, try on everything first if you can.. i would not discount the polar 16570 btw, that is a gorgeous piece, i might have to add it to the flock.