Sign in to follow this  
Jeffpas

New Explorer 39mm losing time?

Hi, a few days ago I bought a new 39mm Explorer. I love it! But it's losing about 5 seconds a day. My question is - should I wait and let the movement 'settle / wear in a bit' before getting it regulated under warranty or is this an old wive's tale and it should run perfectly from the box?

If I should wait then how long? I've only been wearing it for 3 days. Thanks.

My understanding is that a COSC Chronometer certified watch is guaranteed to run within an accuracy of between -4 and +6 seconds per day. Minus 5 seconds is extremely close, so I would suggest for now to check out its accuracy over a two-week period. If it averages between -4 and +6, don't worry about it.

It's been such a long time since I bought a new watch that I cannot speak to 'right out of the box' accuracy, but I have become a believer in a 'settle in' period after having my newly serviced watches vary in accuracy for about a two week period.

I've found that my watches, worn right from a service and timing adjustment run both fast and slow for about 14 days and then, like magic, stabilize and time out to within a second or two a day. Because I've got more than one watch, the condition also includes some time on a winder.

Of course, your mileage may and probably will vary.

I'd let it "settle" for a couple months and if it still isn't where you want it to be, ask RSC to regulate it for you. The Dallas RSC happily regulated mine under warranty when it was consistently -2s/d. (It lost time in all positions so nightly self-regulating did not work) It now runs +1s/d on the wrist and can be positioned at night for an equal loss.

ditto as above.. be sure to not just wind it but wear it, and try different nighttime positional variations.. break in is no myth, the mm300 has a base GS movement and it took weeks to slow mine down (seiko sends them out unregulated). good luck!

This is worst case, in other words any worse and it is not COSC approved

Typical is +-3 secs which on a new Rolex I would expect indeed demand

In my opinion OP, should return it immediately for proper checking

My Rolex gains 1 second per day!

All excellent advice, thank you gents. I'm going to keep wearing it and see how it pans out before sending it away for a regulation. Because it's borderline and it makes sense there should be some 'settling in' after all it is a mechanical device with moving parts.