Sign in to follow this  
Olivegary

116710BLNR

Hey fellas. Please tell me why this particular timepiece 117610BLNR Rolex GMT costs the same if not more from grey dealers than it does from authorized dealers. What should a person expect to pay for a brand-new one? Any special stories around this watch besides the normal GMT story? Thanks.

It's still backordered at most stores, so grey market sellers are using their ability to go off MSRP to charge a premium for getting one right away. For a brand-new one, you should expect to pay MSRP -- no reason to discount an in-stock item for you when a store can sell it at full price within a day regardless.

The wait at my local stores is now pretty short, and you can even find them as a walk-in if you get lucky. I think the "Our wait-list is approximately three months" days are over for good. But, obviously they're still not casually available, or you wouldn't see grey market stores trying to squeeze an extra few hundred dollars out of them.

It's been years since I've heard about a waitlist for a SS daytona. That ended with, like, the 2008 recession, I think.

Grey market dealers generally mark up a fixed % from what they acquire from an AD. It is all about what an AD is willing to let it go for. If an AD can get easy replenishment they have no issue discounting to a grey market dealer making a slimmer margin as it is a wholesale transaction that does not negatively impact their overall business profit potential. If replenishment from Rolex HQ is more sporadic they are less willing to discount to a grey dealer because they can make more per watch selling to a customer.

Another factor is grey dealers frequently source watches internationally.... While the BLNR may start to be more available in the U.S. this may not be the case in other countries.

Yes I did. A very nice gentleman indeed. He did not have a new BLNR though. He has a used one for a couple of hundred dollars less than what I paid for a new one. I ended up buying a new one from an AD here in the Tampa area. $9400 OTD with a 10 year warranty and a one time free polishing. They also resized some rings for me at no cost. I've lost some weight so I needed that done. I will post pictures in a little bit. I really like this timepiece. Thanks for all the info.