Sign in to follow this  
Alexon

Rolex Explorer I - A new proud owner

After thinking about this for a couple years I bit the bullet today and picked up a 1995 Rolex Explorer I 14270 and I couldn't be happier.

It's my first watch which cost over £500 so I will cherish this and hopefully get a lifetime of wear out of it. Looked at the 114270 but couldn't really see much difference between the two.. looks wise I know there isn't but theres a few things like newer movement and SEL bracelet.

Will get some photos up this week! Happy to finally join the Explorer I gang though

20150925181152_2h2dzzyoyyu.gif

Congratulations and welcome. Although I am new here too just wanted to share that I bought my GMT master around the same time, 1995. It was around $2000 new back then. Now, I'm seeing the same watch (16700) sell for around $5-6k at fleabay. A really nice investment in my part :)

There's no bullet to bite. You've given a lot of thought to this high end purchase and came to the conclusion that a pre-owned classic of recent vintage meets your wants and needs. I assure you that as you wear the watch and show it off, anyone commenting on its looks or heritage will have no negative thoughts about the 'older' bracelet or movement. Don't give a second thought to either of those attributes, as you'd never know the difference on the movement and the bracelet has years of testimony to the longevity of its construction.

The historic stories behind the development of this particular model just scream Rolex and all that is good about the brand. The behind the scenes stories regarding author Ian Fleming have him wearing the Exp I and his fictional character Bond using the Sub. Imagine what our perceptions of the Exp I would have been if Fleming had his character wearing this model rather than the Sub.