Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

This "sub is too common" notion

Hi all just a point for discussion. I often read that some people agonize over picking up a sub as it is too "common". While I can appreciate there are many folks who want wear something that is "rare" or not" ubiquitous" I wonder if some are focused to much on these forums and not the world around them. I guess if you live in Hong Kong or work in finance in Manhattan you will see a lot of submariners or other popular models. My experience has been different. I work as a senior executive in a large corporation and travel North America extensively. I work with a lot of people who own some very nice watches and spend a lot of time in first class lounges in airports. Bottom line I see a lot of nice watches. I have been keeping track and in the last year I have only seen two subs and both were the date version. I have a114060 and have yet to see one in the wild.

This is not scientific of course and I am just sharing my experience, however I do think there is some truth that amongst WIS or Rolex supporters the sub is popular, or common or whatever, but in the wider world a sub or any Rolex strapped to your wrist is not really that common.

Thoughts?

I bought a sub because i love it, not because other people wear them or not.

If people do not buy a sub because it's too common and want something no one's wearing. They're more affected by what other people think of what they're wearing and that makes them a lot more common than submariners, imo.

I was out for coffee this morning before work and saw two guys in line ahead of me wearing Subs, both of which were the newer ceramic date model. I own the SubC ND and haven't seen another one, but I do see my fair share of Subs and Rolexes in DC. That being said I think DC is a bit different than most areas. I've everything here, from Pateks and AP's, to a Sub Smurf a year ago. I agree that in the broader perspective no, Rolexes and Subs are not common, just the most recognized.

It depends on which world you inhabit. I'm a not-so-senior office worker and have spent much of my time in the legal and financial services professions in Manhattan and San Francisco. I'm also one of those people with 'above 20-20' vision. The result is that I see A LOT of subs (and Omegas, and even quite a few Panerai's).

Currently, my boss and boss's boss both wear Rolexes, though not Submariners. If I try really hard and put my phone down I'll probably see a Sub in the elevator lobby today.

fwiw: I noted on these forums that I sold my 14060 for the Pelagos currently on my wrist primarily because I find modern subs too 'blingy'. That said, the relative rarity of the Pelagos was a small plus. I would prefer the sub - however common - if it just had a matte dial and/or domed crystal with AR.

I work at an international, relatively small, European airport, and I can say that not a day goes by that I don't see a sub, actually any Rolex model...I've noticed that the sub is very popular with the nordics, I'll see a couple or more on a Copenhagen or Stockholm flight. To my utter surprise I've only seen 1 Tudor BBR in the steel.

I live in rural Appalachia, and I never see other Rolex watches......let alone a Sub. With that said.....I do usually see a sub when I travel. I'm not affected by what others think or wear though.

If people avoid the sub because they think it is too common, it is because they want to be an individual and not follow the crowd; it doesn't necessarily have to do with what other people think. Variety is the spice of life, it would be a boring world if we all wore the same watch. That being said, if someone loves the sub, there is nothing wrong with buying it even though it is very popular. By the way, your last sentence doesn't make sense.