Sign in to follow this  
Hono05

Wife's Datejust Buzzing when shaken

hello

My wife has a 31mm datejust which we got within the last two years, today when playing with a cat toy she noticed the watch shook and seemed to buzz- like one of those old buzzer gag toys

I took it and tried to swirl it and sure enough I could feel something like the mainspring "letting loose" with the watch slightly vibrating and buzzing.

figuring this isn't normal but wondering if anyone else had experienced anything like this?

thanks

Iv'e heard of a strange thing happening here in Thailand; A watch goes in to a watch shop to be serviced and the watchmaker swaps the Rolex movement to a cheep ETA.

And then, the watch owner can't understand why the buzzing.

Anyway, the only way to have peace of mind is to have your Wife's watch checked out by your certified watchmaker.

Thanks all, it is a relatively new watch, being just under two years old, I bought it from a local Authorized dealer and have already contacted them and will be dropping it off at their store and they will be sending it in. This will be the second Rolex I have had to get warranty work on which is a bummer, but when I searched the internet it seems there are some others who reported similar behavior so guess we are not too alone, the watch still keeps ok time though.

Here is the post from someone who seemingly has the same or a similar issue http://www.fixya.com/support/t1757727-noisey_explorer_2

I have got the exact same problem with my wife's 31mm. She asked me to check her watch as it was "noisy", when I held it and gave it a gentle shake to wind it, it sounded and felt like an ETA movement but a lot louder. I then felt what I can only describe as the mainspring releasing/unraveling.

The watch is keeping time accurately and from what I have read it seems like a rotor problem, will be sending it back. The watch has been worn for 5 months from new.

Hey Gns7, glad we are not alone as above I would have thought it to be just our luck....like yours hers kept good time, the power reserve seemed to be OK, and the only thing I noticed was the spring unraveling sensation, maybe it was a little louder than my Sub but can't say for certain.

See my follow up thread about our experience here Wife's Datejust is back from service, just shy of 4 weeks

Can't say for sure what it was, but they did a full service on the movement and now the problem appears to be gone, took less than a month also and the watch came back in pretty much the same condition it went in which I am happy about.

Good luck with yours!