Sign in to follow this  
Hann

Rolex DSSD Miss representation

Hi All...

This has probably been done to the death (I did use search) but I wanted to gauge opinions on the Rolex DSSD Lume Colour.

I was lucky enough to buy one 2 months ago brand new from an AD here in the UK. Experience was very unique and was something i won't forget. I've been hankering after the DSSD since it's launch and couldn't ever quite stretch to it so I'm enjoying ownership for the most part at the moment.

Looking at the website it clearly states blue Chromalight on the website and if you look at the image in the PDF document and on the marketing campaign it's totally been doctor'd/photoshopped as mine is not this colour at all, but a hue of neon green/blue when it's been charged by either natural or un-natural light (sun/LED). It also is a total let down in terms of the longevity of the lume. My Tudor Pelagos outdoes it by a mile, so did my Planet Ocean. I'm left somewhat deflated by this as it's pointless looking at the time in the dark if you can't see the watch and the markers.

Does anyone else feel the same about their DSSD??

Thanks

G

Well I've done the right thing and sent it back to Rolex via the AD. The lume lasts all of 1 hr and the bezel is slightly off. I'm disappointed and its tarnished my first experience with Rolex. I thought the Rolex way was perfection to the highest degree.

It's not perfect at all. I hope that it comes back as it went to them with just fixes for what's wrong, not with scratches. You hear some stories and worry yourself until you have it back.

How long does it usually take for re-lume and bezel? That's assuming they'll re-lume it at all. It shouldn't last 1 hr. My Pelagos is readable all of the time. Not once has it been unreadable during the night. It's so bright initially it lights up door handles and the surface of the doors when opening them, very very impressed with my pelagos considering IT cost a fraction of the Rolex.

Do you all charge your DSSD watches for hrs before going to bed, just so they are readable hours later??

I'd really like your input into this, if you've had or still own a DSSD please take the time to post. I've love to hear your experiences.

I'm a new owner and can't help but think it's probably only going to escalate once it's back, me being unhappy with the lume. I'd never sell it due to this fact, wonder if Rolex won't re-lume then perhaps someone will???

Thanks

G

A Rolex is not about lume like a TORCH. It seems as if your expectations might be off. A Rolex is about the whole package. I'm sorry about your disappointment, but maybe Rolex isn't for you.......because their lume is not their strong point.

I never actually charge my lume, it just is what it is when I turn the light off. It therefore isn't ever actually very bright, but I can still read the time at any point in the night.

I did used to have a 8500 powered Planet Ocean and under the same circumstances I can't say that it was any better or worse.

The Mrs has a datejust however and I'm not sure why they bothered with the lume on that. It IS there somewhere but you really have look for it.

I'm still very happy with the DSSD. I have both the DSSD and Pelagos, the Pelagos is in a different league for lume but the DSSD is pretty good (as good as a PO 8500 imo).

The lume on a DSSD should last a lot longer than an hour.

The DSSD lume colour is slightly greener/blue compared to the "clean blue" Pelagos.

One thing to keep in mind is there are not many watches out there with lume as good as the Pelagos. Even the Omega Seamaster 2254.50 (which had the best lume I've ever owned) is not as bright as the Pelagos.