Sign in to follow this  
windowsxp

Sub vs sea dweller

was it the person selling you the watch that told you this?? when you go into a car dealership do you buy the car the salesperson says to buy or the one you responsibly can afford??

did he/she explain why it was "better value"??? did you understand the reply???

do you live in an affluent area where YOU see the submariner everywhere you turn???

are you aware of the human ability to dive and how deep an untrained human can go???

From what I've seen here in NYC, it's definitely less flooded in the market, but if you don't see that many Rolexes, that doesn't really matter. Also, outside of WUS and other Rolex owners, I doubt a majority of people can tell (or care about) the differences between the two--to most it'll just be a black Rolex.

If it were the AD/seller, naturally they'd push you to a SD as it's more expensive. Can't really comment on value retention, but it doesn't seem that different in eyeballing prices from what I've seen. Lastly, personally I found the SD to be more comfortable for my wrist. YMMV.

It's not really about the amount of it being "flooded" in the market, it's about supply and demand. If one a particular model is being "flooded" in the market, but is also a lot more in demand than the other, than even with the "flood", that model may still hold its value just as much (or more so) as the other.

What determines value is how much people are willing to pay for something.

With that said, SD and Sub are both great watches and they both hold their value about the same. Go for the one you like more, not for the one you think might hold its value a bit better.

Value retention is the wrong reason to buy any luxury watch. It implies either financial unreadiness for such an expenditure, or a lack of appreciation for a particular watch's intrinsic worth.

Uniqueness is a semi-reasonable criteria ... if you're the sort of person who wants to be a total snob about having something (almost) no one else has.

The only reasonable criteria? The watch that you yearn for, that fits comfortably, that looks good on your wrist, and that you can afford. If the Sea Dweller meets those criteria better than the Sub, then your decision is an easy one. If the Sub edges out the SD, same thing.

A trip to an AD to try both on will assist you in that discernment far more ably than soliciting opinions here.

Hey thanks everyone for the adv. tried both pretty ok with them both have their gd pts sub is classic slim n light. SD more manly doesn't hv a cyclops. Would SD be more exp to service? Assuming both similar usage?

Thanks