Sign in to follow this  
jadccy

Tudor Heritage Chronograph (blue) - No love?

I've been mostly lurking for a number of months now, debating what to purchase as my first higher end (USD1,000+) watch and have been looking at a few Tudors. Probably not a first purchase, but I find myself attracted to the styling on the Tudor Heritage Chronograph blue. However, in terms of posts in this forum, a large majority focus on the Pelagos or Black Bay (both red and blue).

Just out of curiosity, is there not much love for the Chrono blue? If so, please feel free to let me know why. I know the non-inhouse movement position, but you could say that about any Tudor. If anything, I feel like the Chrono blue stands out as something more uniquely Tudor than their dive watches and still has good history, etc.

To appease those who want photos, please see Clymer's nice pics here: A Week On The Wrist: The Tudor Heritage Chrono Blue â HODINKEE - Wristwatch News, Reviews, & Original Stories

I think the heritage blue is an awesome looking watch but bought the BBB because I don't like chronos or any thing that clutters the dial or sticks out of the case besides the crown. hmm I do wonder if those in the dislike category find it a bit cartoonish especially when on the nato?

I think it's a cool looking sporty watch, it won't be very versatile as it's quite a casual watch.

My only issue and it maybe just that review watch but the date isn't centred which would Bug me.

I have tried on the Chrono Blue and it does look pretty good but it is too thick for my liking. I, too, purchased a Black Bay (Blue). The Chrono Blue is fantastic value for money and very well made. Buy with confidence, if you like it. The most important thing is to buy what YOU like.

The Heritage Chrono got lots of good press when it was released. In terms of popularity vs. the Black Bay, though, it's got a couple things going against it: It's $1,000 more expensive than the Black Bay at MSRP; Chronographs in general are not as popular as dive watches; Its design is more eccentric, which can limit its appeal; And, as you noted, it doesn't look like a Rolex. That's not to say the Black Bay is a mere homage, but the resemblance between the Black Bay and vintage Rolex/Tudor Submariners is surely a significant part of its appeal for many buyers. A lot of people discover Tudor through Rolex, and Rolex-lovers are predisposed toward the vintage Submariner style in a way they might not be predisposed toward a 1970s-flavored sport chronograph.

I don't think it's an unpopular watch so much as it appeals to a relatively smaller audience and fills a smaller niche in most watch-collectors' collections than the Black Bay or even the Pelagos.

I can say from my experience, having tried one on in-person, the Heritage Chrono looks almost toy-like compared to the Black Bay. It's a fun watch but its bright blue, white, and orange details don't come off as sophisticated as the textured, matte black dial, bright silver markers, and rich navy bezel of the Black Bay blue.

As with any watch, I'd recommend looking at them in-person before coming to any conclusions.

Cool looking watch, quite a bit of vintage flair to it.

But for the price point there's the Speedmaster Pro which is more classy in design and proportion for me.

and then there's the chrono module construction vs integrated chrono movement debate.

20150925181530_qqxvux5gq4d.jpg

Lots of love for the Heritage Chrono Blue from this side of the room.

My Blue occupies the top spot in my watch box and with good reason. It's a joy to look at ( on and off the wrist), comfortable to wear and very able to be dressed up or down.

I'd tried the Black Bay, both models and the Pelagos and found that the Heritage Blue pushed all of the right buttons far more than the others, but that's my taste, no one else's.

If the Heritage Blue speaks to you, then that's your watch. Don't be concerned about others opinions, it's your wrist that it's fastened around and your bank account that's paying for it.

Hmm... I posted a reply and it never showed. Interesting.

I have the 70330n (grey center) and it has become my go-to chrono in my collection. I spent a year looking at it and debating over it before making the purchase. One of my mates has a HC blue, I even looked at his a lot before my purchase. I wanted to be sure I loved the look before spending the money.

It's a fantastic watch and I'm glad I made my purchase. I can even use it as a simplified GMT, which is nothing short of awesome.

My Tudor, she is a keeper.