Sign in to follow this  
Currytom

Rolex Explorer I Advice (214270)

Hi,

My first admission is I never considered Rolex as a brand for me. I have various Omegas, Breitlings and a mix of other brands in my small collection. I recently gave my AD my Breitling Navitimer World for a service and went to collect it on Friday last. While waiting, I saw they had the new Oyster Perpetual on display and asked to have a look. The salesman then said he had a lovely pre-owned Explorer I that I should look at. That was a fateful move as I fell in love with it straight away., which surprised me. I really like the simplicity of the dial and the fact it does not have a cyclops eye date window. I have been thinking about it since and I contacted the AD yesterday about a best price and a potential trade of the Navitimer. They are willing to trade which has made my dilemma worse. I have fallen out of the love with the Navitimer in the last year and am wearing it less and less. I have thought about a trade or eBay sale as a means of moving it on. That's my story.

What I would like to know is:-

- Is the Explorer a good buy considering I may never buy another Rolex? It is mint and will have a one year warranty.

- Is it a well respected model within the Rolex community?

- Is it a dependable and accurate model?

Any other advice will be appreciated.

I intend visiting tomorrow to view it again and my gut feeling is to buy it.

Thanks,

Anthony.....

The explorer is a great watch you will not regret it. It is accurate as are all Rolex watches, and has a look of simple elegance in a way that only an explorer can.

Depending on the deal they give you on price and trade value you may consider that a new Rolex watch now comes with a five year warranty from Rolex.

I have one and it's a keeper for sure. I find the size perfect for me at 39mm. I also am not a fan of the cyclops lens and don't miss or need the date function. As I rotate between a few different watches It's easier for me to just set the time and go. No need to worry about keeping the date correct.

The main trait of the sub that really puts me off is the big and bulky case.

The explorer has the perfect dimensions and is very comfortable on the wrist and under the shirt cuff.

That's what appeals to me about the Explorer. It should work in any setting with any clothing choice. I have a dress style Omega DeVille and I have an Oris Aquis diver for the chunky tool watch look.

I am being allowed 1600 for the Navitimer World as well as the 675 service fee and being asked for 3k. The Explorer is mint without a scratch to be seen anywhere. Don't think I could stretch to a new one as this is way outside my watch buying plan. I have had a few "rushes of blood to the head" in the last year eg Omega DeVille and Aqua Terra 150m, both new. And the Oris from eBay last month. This watch love is a serous disease that must be brought under control.

20150925181752_r23i3hfsw1t.png

Explorer 39mm is a phenomenal watch. Candidly, I did not really appreciate the design, comfort or overall appeal until I tried one on at the dealer, eventually making it my second Rolex purchase.

I bought my Explorer 39mm last year and have never regretted it. It looks equally good with jeans or coat and tie. It's under the radar and doesn't scream ROLEX. Mine maintains +1s/d on the wrist. The ss bracelet with the Easylink is very comfortable. As other watches come and go, I'll bet you keep your Explorer.