Sign in to follow this  
confidol

RSC or somewhere else for service--need advice

I have a +/- 25 year old TT Submariner that hasn't been serviced in about 15 years. The last service I had done was locally & that store is no longer in business.

It has a few dings, but is in generally good condition for a watch that age. I've never dealt with RSC. I'm considering sending it there.

I would appreciate any input/suggestions/alternatives. If it's something that needs to be PM'd, please do so.

Thanks

An RSC visit will prove to be the most costly, but you'll have what many to consider the peace of mind that the watch has been restored to factory specs by people trained by the factory. You'll also get what many consider to be the cool 'toys' such as a leather pouch, a 'hard' warranty card, an invoice with the Rolex logo on it and a mailing box with green foam that many owners have drooled over (sarcasm intended). You'll have your choice of NYC, Dallas, Beverly Hills and San Francisco (the last one is an independently owned Authorized Rolex Service Center that has a great reputation.)

A trip to an independent who knows what they're doing and comes highly recommended and has the highly coveted parts account will likely yield the same results for the watch at a lower cost. You also won't have to endure the humiliation of being asked about replacing dials and hands and bezel inserts if you have no desire to do so.

Some names that come to mind in the independent watch repair category are, ABC Watchwerks in LA, Four Crowns in LA, Rikki at Timecare in Florida. This list is by no means meant to be comprehensive, only the first that are highly thought of in the Rolex watch forum community.

Spend some time browsing past posts. There are lengthy discussions about the pros and cons of each choice and there's no right or wrong answer. Only what works best for you.

I'd take it to the RSC, they are the only ones that will issue an official 2 year warranty with their service.

Also, if you were ever to sell it, you'd make that extra money back by having provided official RSC paperwork instead of some nameless local watchmaker.

Try The Watch Buyers Group in Pasadena,CA.

Great reviews, you can Google for their reviews.

3 years warranty, genuine rolex parts, 3 weeks turn around time, and free round trip insured UPS shipping.

For $395 base service.

Buy. Sell. Trade. Service. | The Watch Buyers Group