Sign in to follow this  
mariod

Tudor Pelagos vs Tudor Pelagos (2.0)

As someone battling his own brain trying to decide between buying the current model Pelagos now, or waiting until July and been one of the first people with the upgraded model, I would like to see other peoples opinions.

If you had never owned a Pelagos and had to buy one, which would you go for and why?

I just sold my Pelagos 1st Gen. It was a really really nice watch. Only reason I sold it was because of the announcement of the new Pelagos with the in house movement. Based off of looks I would have to go with the 1st gen. However, looks are not that important to me...

I have the 1st generation Pelagos, and while I think it is great, I would be patient and buy the newer iteration. 70hr power reserve is a huge step forward. Even though the 2824 can be regulated to keep quite accurate time, I bet the new movement will keep fantastic time straight out of the box and will reliably keep great time without having to monkey with it.

Hmm, it's a tool watch. To me that means a basic robust movement that can be serviced anywhere . I've never been a fan of in house movements. It's an opportunity for Tudor / Rolex to rip you big for service.

Just got back from a vacation in Carmel CA...while their I stopped by a nice little watch shop that was a Rolex, Tudor and Cartier AD..... The sales rep that was helping me just got a two tone Tudor for himself, so we started talking about the brand and the new IN House movements coming out.

he informed me that the Gen 1 Pelagos will be discounted by 30% once the new version hits the stores.

I had the first gen Pelagos but this second gen one is forcing me to consider adding a new one back to my collection.

I like the blue, i like the inhouse movement and i dont mind the wall of text!

The wall is text is not so bad. I prefer the original dial but its not a deal breaker. The COSC certified new tudor movement is a big bonus. Service costs are not an issue, its only once every 5 years, and to be honest I doubt I will keep the watch much longer than that.

I think I'd be tempted by the new version for the blue dial. Not keen on the wall of text but I'd get over that and not fussed about the movement either way. I like the ETA 2824 as a long term ownership proposition because they are well made, proven, superbly accurate in the Tudors and serviceable by almost any watchmaker.

I'd go first generation. I don't like the 5 lines of text on the second one (I'm also not a fan of that blue, a bit too bright, well at least in pics anyway - I when I first saw it it reminded me of a novelty watch)