Sign in to follow this  
ybatman

Best Choices for Bracelet Restoration

Hey gang,

I've got a buddy that has an older blue faced Sub that he is getting serviced. I have fairly well convinced him to not submit to the full RSC refit (crystal, bracelet, etc)...well, me and the several thousand dollar repair bill.

His only concern is the condition of the bracelet. I understand David Young out of HK seems to be well regarded for bracelet repair.

Is there anyone else that comes highly recommended? Someone in the states in case this non-WIS is a little squeamish about shipping off his two tone bracelet overseas?

What about the usual suspects like Nesbit's, IWW, etc? Has anyone had any luck with them?

Also, what's a refurb going for these days?

Thanks for the help guys!

Deacon

It's Michael Young of Classic Watch Repair, and he's considered the gold standard of bracelet restoration at a reasonable price on the majority of watch forums. His prices are on his searchable web site.

Offer whatever medication you need to settle your buddy's stomach. Registered mail from the USA to Hong Kong will protect the goods. Long before you arrived with this post, lots of other Rolex owners have shipped off solid gold (including me back in '07) bracelets without any worries. The only downside to Mr. Young is that he's more interested in dealing with bracelets than he is with communicating with anxious bracelet owners, so don't necessarily expect immediate email responses as to the status. Just chill out and wait for what should be a 'like new' result.

Thanks David.

I checked out the Google sites first. But, of course no one ever says on Google that they suck at it! LOL!

So I was hoping for some personal experience with someone here.

Any other first hand experience?

Thanks as well Kawika. I will of course pass MY's name along. Like I said though, it up to him whether or not he is comfortable with it. We're I not a WIS myself, I wouldn't necessarily be leaping at the chance having no experience with sending (or buying) watches overseas.

But the recommendations will undoubtedly go a long way to making him feel comfortable about it.

a local watch guy here recently used Gray and sons, they did an excellent job. There's also a guy in downtown LA that the local repair shops use, but he only works wholesale for repair shops, no retail.