Sign in to follow this  
hideom

Circa 1945 Rolex Air King

Hi Everyone,

A local auction is selling a circa 1945 Air King ref. 4925 case 353802. I've had a hard time finding more info on this watch so I'm helping you guys can help. Almost all of the Air Kings I've seen have had writing above the 6 and very few I've seen have had a painted crown below the 12 mark. The crown also seems unusually small compared to what else I've seen. Were these variances the norm for the very early models or does it scream fake/re-dial? They've got an expected price range of $500-$700 Canadian so I'd like to be as informed as possible. The auction company is pretty highly respected and looking at past auctions and their realized vs. expected values have been pretty bang on. The bracelet it is on (which I doubt is original) has cosmetic damage as well. I've included the only picture given, but there is a viewing time available.

Thanks!

20150925181954_enftphebrxi.jpg

The bracelet is not original, as you suspected.

Personally, I wouldn't touch this one. The dial looks way too clean for the age, and that dotted rail is odd. The number font and the squashed logo may actually be right for the time frame, though I've never seen that dial personally. Hands are very questionable. The winding crown looks wrong for a '45. I think best case it's had a lot of work done to it.

Yeah I was pretty sure that Rolex only used stick indicies on dials from that era, or at least they had a majority with only stick indicies. I remember one watch that had a mix of arabic numerals and indicies, but I've never seen just numbers.

Thanks guys, I've done a bit more digging and found dials that are supposedly from around that same time. Difference being they have a subsidiary second hand. One has hands that are similar and the other has straight hands. Obviously these aren't conclusive as they could be replaced as well. The bracelet doesn't concern me as I prefer leather on my dress watches, but it obviously affects value.

20150925181956_0nx1ebtj3rp.jpg

20150925181957_v2x1jzhtkul.jpg

Yeah, that dial I've seen; I haven't seen it with a central second or with the dot rail. I will say though, in all fairness, Rolex did do a lot more experimenting back then than they do now.

It's also got yellow gold indices on a steel watch, which modern Rolex doesn't do; but again I can't swear an older one wouldn't.