Sign in to follow this  
gogetit

1971 Date model is in the watch hospital

The '71 Date I purchased at an AD way back at Christmastime of 2000, and it's been my daytime dress watch since. The dealer sold it with a black Italian strap, but I switched it to an aftermarket Jubilee bracelet, and during a Rolex service in 2007 had the gray dial swapped for the sapphire blue.

Late last year I took it for service to a local jeweler. He did my '78 5513 Sub a year or so ago, and it's running superbly. The same was true of the Date when it came back from his shop . . . for about three months. Then it began to gain a minute a day! I brought it back to him, as it was still under warranty. He called me just now to say that he cannot find the problem, though I'm right and it is gaining 1 minute or so per day. He asked if he could do the service over, no charge of course, to solve the problem. I told him I appreciated his diligence, and to go to it.

So the Date is in the watch hospital, and it seems weird not to have it on my wrist. . . .

Excellent! I sent in a newer GMT to the RSC for a crystal replacement (gimp cyclops magnification). When it returned over the next 1 1/2 months it zoomed up to +7 SPD and then slowed to -10 SPD. Historically it was +.5 SPD to +2 SPD for over a year. I called the RSC and they said before sending it in let it unwind for a few days and manually wind 50 rotations to start it up again. I did so and (knock on wood) for the last 4 days has been running < +1 SPD. Who would have thunk?