Sign in to follow this  
JonnyMum

Inherited Rolex 'Precision'

Dear all,

I recently inherited an old Rolex from my great uncle and I am eager to know more about it!

It appears to be keeping reasonable time but the seconds hand does not stop while the crown is out to change the time. Additionally, if the time is being set in a counter-clockwise motion (backwards), the seconds hand will move backwards.

It measures 33-34mm in diameter excluding the crown, with 18mm width lugs (although they appear to be stretched). It is a manual wind up. A marking on the metal band reads [T/40 10KT RGP Stainless Steel Backs PAT.No.1095455]

Any help answering the following questions would be greatly appreciated:

1. Is the metal band original?

2. What is its approximate age? Searching myself revealed similar looking rolex's advertised as anywhere between 1940-1970.

3. Is it actually called a 'Rolex Precision'?

4. Any idea what the issues with the second hand could be? I am considering getting it serviced.

I am considering putting a leather strap on it and wearing it occasionally when I'm in a suit. I quite like the little thing.

Thanks in advance!

20150925182130_t2eeoksl5hg.jpg

20150925182134_rqg1pfgl5si.jpg

20150925182145_xhzoz2bnitp.jpg

Try not to take offence to this, but I don't think it's real. I could be wrong, but I'll state my reasons why I feel this way. The applied coronet at 12 is not even close to centred, and it looks like the dial says "T SWISS T" on the bottom which would not make sense for a watch that doesn't have any lume. I'm pretty sure that Rolex didn't used stainless steel backs on gold watches either. Like I said, I could be wrong though.

I can say with certainty that the bracelet is not original. If it was, it would fit between the lugs. Someone jammed that thing in there, which is why they lugs are bent outwards like that.

I'm pretty sure that's not a Rolex. The coronet, in addition to not being centered, looks cheap. The 1 o'clock marker isn't centered between the indices on either side of it.

Oh, and there's no actual rule against asking for or giving valuation opinions. It's just frowned upon.

No offence taken! No problem if it is not a genuine Rolex, the sentimental value is the same.

I think the 1 o'clock marker is down to the camera angle. I've had another look and it seems centered live but not on the pic. The coronet is slightly off the indices though.

The watch back is gold, not steel. Again the camera angle isn't helping. Sorry about that.

I guess the only way to really tell is to have it inspected or serviced where the movement can be viewed. I'll try to take it to a local watch repairer over the next week. The time keeping seems excellent, but I would like the issue with the hands taken care of.

I googled Rolex Precision watch pictures and every one posted looks different from the other. If the ones on the web are all real it looks like this model endured many nuanced design changes during its existence... lugs, marker design, Rolex logo placement and design. I saw one almost identical to yours on the web but it had no lugs, the mesh bracelet attached right into the case. Some web searching will show you what others are asking for their versions.

With all that said, only your picture displays a non-centered Rolex crown... that would make me worried... but who knows, maybe it came off and a shoddy watchmaker or even your Uncle may have glued it back on incorrectly. Good luck in your search and enjoy the watch.

Edit: The one that looks almost identical to yours but without lugs was from the late '60's. But as someone already mentioned, that other one has Swiss on the dial, not T Swiss T... so doubly concerning.

Without opening the case and inspecting the movement it's impossible to tell for sure if it is genuine. But, as far as the model itself is concerned, you can find several Rolex Precisions (not sure if that was the official name of the model) on the net and they look similar to the OP's watch. With a 9k gold case they are valued around $2500.

20150925182146_njqdkp0xadd.jpg