Sign in to follow this  
Jeffwo

Vintage Rolex for around £1000

Hello, I plan to purchase a vintage rolex for £1000-£1200 in the next month, and I am wondering whether it is possible to get one in decent condition for that price.

I have found this watch on eBay and wonder if the condition is too good to be true for the price -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-6694-Oysterdate-Precision-Vintage-Mens-Watch-/371423524620?hash=item567a91370c

I would appreciate it if you could give me information on what to look for with my budget. Thanks.

Fair comment :) but for £1000 does this watch look like a safe bet? Rolex 6694 Oysterdate Precision Vintage Men's Watch! | eBay

Next year I shall be purchasing a dive watch, however I am currently just looking for a dress watch and I don't want to spend too much.

The world is awash in 'dress watch' styles in all kinds of price ranges. If you've zeroed in on Rolex as your choice, and a 34mm stainless steel 6694 fills the need, then, at least in my opinion, this watch passes a lot of tests from a good seller at a fair price.

If this strains your budget, then you might look at the Tudor Prince Date model...same factory,same size, same case, automatic ETA movement and less money. But, Tudor isn't Rolex, so you get to choose.

I also agree that this seller and this Precision pass the minimum test . As long as he's got the money back guarantee-I would like but may not insist on a movement shot. (I usually do-at least I didn't see one here)

Also-I would remind op that however -if your imagining yourself with a vintage rolex oyster bracelet sometime later on it will cost a good deal of money-more then half and maybe even 80% of the cost of this watch. At this level of vintage rolex it is often much more prudent to find a Precision priced at 1200-1300pounds that includes a SS bracelet which I think would not be very difficult to locate. If SS bands are not your thing-then best of luck with whatever you find

I've got a 50s OP with a worn bracelet. I can tell you on that particular model a bracelet in maybe 70% condition or less cost over 100% of the watch's value, and if I ever find one in acceptable shape I have no doubt that it will be over $1000 on its own.

I'll say what I always say to people looking to save money by buying "vintage": Don't do it.

After 30 years there is no parts guarantee. Service, whether through RSC or not, is going to cost nearly as much if not more than the watch itself, and even more if you need any parts replaced, if they're available. It's not as accurate as a modern Rolex, or as accurate as a modern $1000 watch. If it's been kept in good condition and serviced a few times it should still be waterproof, but you really don't know.

It's just a bad investment all around. I get the allure of a vintage Rolex, I get the bragging rights of having the name on the dial, but you'd be better off either buying a different brand, or spending more money.

Just my two cents.

Nice looking watch. Be aware that it's a manual wind, i.e., you'll need to wind it every day; he says it's a "hand winding" movement. But I like that sort of thing, rather like feeding your cat or dog at a regular time every day to keep him healthy.

I bought my ca. 1971 Date from an AD in late 2000. It was SS, gray dial, and came on a black leather Italian-made strap, no Rolex buckle. I've since put it on an aftermarket Jubilee bracelet, and had the dial swapped for sapphire blue at Rolex Dallas during its 2007 service. It keeps great time and is a pleasure to look at and wear. I'm not worried about its value vs. one with an authentic Rolex bracelet. It and my 1978 5513 Sub are my steady watches. So if you like the Precision, go for it!